Main Discussion Area > Flight Bows

Bow nocks

(1/2) > >>

DC:
Is there a preferred nock for flight bows? I guess I'm thinking mostly about weight. Like pin nocks or small overlays. What do most people use?

Badger:
  I have never seen any evidence that super light nocks made much difference. You don't loose all the energy that the bow spent accelerating the bow limbs, a lot of it comes back at the end of the stroke because of the momentum carried by the limbs. I like to think as small as I can go but keep them safe and stable.

Selfbowman:
Sometimes you use nock weight to balance the arrow. Usually leans toward broadhead flight though. Arvin

DC:
Thanks Arvin but I was talking about the nocks on the bow. They should have a different name :D

avcase:
I prefer nocks that do not rely on deep grooves in the sides of the bow. I have mostly used simple overlays on the back of bow with minimal grooving on the sides. I also make my string loops small enough so that it constricts around the nock and helps keep it together.  I avoid large loops that hang open on the belly side of the braced bow, because this does the opposite and tends to split the bow nock apart.

I find nock weight is always important, but it isn’t always as simple as lighter is better. It depends on the bow design and distribution of stiffness in the limb. A lighter tip may do more harm than good if it sacrifices stiffness of the limb toward the tips.

Alan

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version