Author Topic: Breaking-in a new hunting bow  (Read 1894 times)

Offline silent sniper

Breaking-in a new hunting bow
« on: January 20, 2020, 07:00:14 pm »
Hey guys,
I wanted to start a discussion on how/if you have any type of break-in period for a new bow that has been tillered but not finished.

Once I get my new bow tillered I will shoot it and unstring it multiple times to watch for any chances in set/limb profile.

After that I will leave it strung for 4 hours followed by an overnight rest. I will than shoot it off and on throughout the next few days as I keep track of the limbs to see if they are taking any set.

I typically will finish with one last 4-5 hr braced secession. If the bow holds up fine than I will go through with finishing It. 

Do you guys do it any differently? Are there any break in methods that you believe increase the life of the bow or decrease set?

Thanks
Taylor

Offline aznboi3644

Re: Breaking-in a new hunting bow
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2020, 07:53:25 pm »
Not much here.  After I am satisfied with the tiller at my draw length I give it 100-150 pulls to full draw on the tree.  Then I leave it strung for 6-8 hours.  Then shoot it a bit after I get home after it’s been strung all day.  Then I’ll unbrace it and check it’s set.  Usually the set won’t change much if at all from the final tillering since I exercise the limbs quite a bit during tillering.

Offline Jim Davis

• Reparrows
    • Reparrows
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2020, 08:30:00 pm »
Nope. Even if you have some program of observing the results,  such as set,  you're  not going to change what happens.

I just add the bow to my rack and  shoot it when I want to. Over time, it does what  it does.

As for taking it to full draw 100 times  in  rapid succession,  that  is  punishment my bow would never  encounter in normal  use.
Jim Davis

Kentucky--formerly Maine

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2020, 08:31:03 pm »
I think shooting is the best break in,..I will leave it strung like hunting,,,

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2020, 06:49:59 am »
As I'm tillering, and I see everything is good once I get to full brace I'll leave the bow braced for an hour(aka sweating). All the while I'm exercising the bow with 20 to 30 pulls after wood removal to the stage I'm at. The farther in the tillering process I go and again if everything is good I'm leave the bow braced longer. As I get to the end of the tillering process and things are still good I'll leave the bow braced for up to about 6 hours. By going this way I have broken in the bow by the time the tillering process is over.  Also, any time I brace the bow I will exercise the bow with a series of pulls, increasing the length as I go. I do this EVERY time I brace the bow to shoot as long as I own the bow.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Online Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2020, 03:53:35 pm »
I do about like Pat and with good seasoned wood they usually won't change much if any at all. :) I usually tiller one in 2 or 3 sessions with some rest time in between.  :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline silent sniper

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2020, 07:46:02 pm »
Thanks for the replies guys, i appreciate it.  It looks like I am doing about the same as everyone else.

Pat, I agree about the warm up draws when stringing up a bow. I also do it and believe it is a good practice.

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2020, 11:26:30 am »
I think its good for the person shooting ,, (-S

Offline DC

« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2020, 02:50:41 pm »
Pat, I agree about the warm up draws when stringing up a bow. I also do it and believe it is a good practice.

I do a few warm ups too but I'm mostly concerned with the string being seated in the nocks properly. If I screwed up and didn't get the string seated I would just as soon have it come off on a little short pull.