Author Topic: yew log ?  (Read 3904 times)

Offline timber wolfe

yew log ?
« on: December 24, 2007, 11:11:04 pm »
hello everybody.

a freind gave me a eight foot long by six inches in diameter.i dont know if it will be any good.ti has been sitting in shop[ window for about ten years.question 1 how can i tell if it will make abow .i cut it in to quorters iinside it looks sound.question 2 i cant peel bark off. can i sand it off. i know you not to touch the sap wood. looking forword to hearing from you.love this forum you guys make some beautiful bows. merry chrismas to you all.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
Re: yew log ?
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2007, 12:57:55 am »
  Timber Wolf,Send it to me. I will study it and see if it is worth your trouble.Feel free to P/M me with shipping questions. If you decide to take this difficult task on yourself ,there is a bunch of people willing to help. Merry Christmas
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2007, 01:07:32 am »
I believe that yew is rot resistant. If the sapwood is bad, use just the heartwood. You can take the bark off with a draw knife or rasp and scraper. How many rings per inch? I believe you can get away with some grain violation on the back with yew but a raw hide or silk backing will help hold it together. You should be able to tell if the wood is sound by its appearance and feel. Be aware that the dust from yew is toxic and can cause respiratory problems. Wear a dust mask.      Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline timber wolfe

« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2007, 11:12:21 am »
thanks Pat B i will start to wear dust mask when working Yew wood didn't know it was toxic.I will try a scraper the bark is very thin.I am of to catch a Steelhead now .

Offline juniper junkie

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2007, 10:45:26 pm »
if the sapwood is more than 1/4" thick, I wouldnt worry about gouging it. Yew isnt like Osage, in that it isnt that critical cutting through the grain especially the sapwood. the only way to be sure the log is straight is to split it in half. then you can quarter from there. should be well seasoned.

duffontap

« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2007, 10:55:47 pm »
Give us a picture!

J. D.

radius

« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2008, 02:47:00 pm »
i agree with Pat that yew dust is toxic.  I milled up a bunch the other day and spent the evening with a headache and a stuffed nose. 

As for the sapwood:  you can violate the rings all you want:  no problem.