Author Topic: Character Ash ELB  (Read 2843 times)

Offline aznboi3644

Character Ash ELB
« on: November 06, 2019, 05:25:48 pm »
First real try at a character bow.  I last tried over 10 years ago on a white oak stave that I still have.  But it needs serious heat/steam straightening here and there.  It has major propeller twist.  I gave up on it.

I cut and split this ash from a 6ft log 11 years ago,  and it has been seasoning in the garage since then.  I forgot about it.  But I want to make a flat bellied  ELB.  It is around 68” right now.  The ends where split so I had to cut 2” off each end. 

Target weight is 40lb @ 28”.  The wider stave I plan on making a flat bow with.  I have the bow reduced down to 1.25” at the center to mid limb and roughed down to 5/8 at the tips for now.  All I had time today was to split and rough the profile out and get the depth down.  Tomorrow I plan on making a 2x4 form to steam bend the stave a hair so the string lines go with the handle. 

Wish me luck on this.  It a gonna be a slow bow for me.  One tip has some deflex in it combined with my not so great tillering eye is going to be a challenge.  But I am up for it.

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
Re: Character Ash ELB
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2019, 02:58:31 am »
It's a bit short ... I'd have suggested 70" as a minimum, but at 40# you may be ok, especially if you heat treat the belly.
The split ends could possibly been glued and clamped up as there is very little stress at the tips, especially if you fit horn nocks. Maybe something to bear in mind next time.
In fact you could always splice on an inch or so, especially as you have some matching wood. I've done it before now
Should make a nice looking bow... good luck :)
Del
« Last Edit: November 07, 2019, 03:02:53 am by Del the cat »
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline aznboi3644

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2019, 08:22:32 am »
Thanks Del.  Today is a nice rainy day to sit in the garage and steam this bow in line.  Heck if I only get a 30-35lb Bow without much set I’ll be happy.  I will just have to monitor the set and let it tell me what it wants to me.  I would just love a long bow so. A snake in it.  And honestly this is will be my first self bow not made from a board. 

I did a SG test on it and it is floating a hair over .6

Offline aznboi3644

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2019, 07:53:53 am »
Well my first ever try at steam bending didn’t work so I just held the soaking wet part of the ash stave over the fire and heated it up until I couldn’t touch it and clamped it down.  I clamped it about an inch past center line and it came out perfect.

Now the only thing I see that I may have to do is one limb has 1.5” of deflex about mid limb.  Should I bother with straightening the deflex out of that??

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2019, 05:47:51 pm »
   I would steam and clamp the deflex out if it...Make it even as possible...Nice looking start...
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline aznboi3644

« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2019, 03:07:04 pm »
The deflexed limbs immediately came back during tillering.  Finished around 50lbs at 26”.  Just needs a few coats of oil and a handle wrap.  It’s going to be a gift for my brother.  He just flew in town today and he really liked shooting his new bow.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2019, 03:16:18 pm »
Fantastic!  Good job, brother!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline HH~

« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2019, 07:10:17 pm »
I like it. Looks good at full draw. Hope he likes it.

HH~
MAFA: Makin America Free Again

Long is the road, Hard is the way.

Mother Gue never raised such a foolish child. . . .

Readily will I display the intestinal fortitude required to fight onto the Ranger objective and complete the mission though I be the lone survivor. RLTW

Offline aznboi3644

« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2019, 10:54:14 pm »
Thanks guys.  My brother really liked it.  At 10 yards he was consistently nailing the 10” diameter target.  He hasn’t shot a bow in over a decade.  I’m working on a set of arrows for him now.

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2019, 11:52:10 am »
Good job!  Makes a neat present!!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2019, 06:18:10 am »
Well done. Should make a great Christmas present.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #11 on: December 25, 2019, 10:39:28 pm »
Very nice. Enjoy shooting with your brother. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!