Author Topic: C-shaped stave  (Read 2723 times)

bowkill

C-shaped stave
« on: April 18, 2008, 02:49:02 pm »
I have my osage (green) stave sealed, and cut to 2" wide and about 1-2 thick.  I steamed the handle area to remove the prop twist, but when I put a string down the middle of each tip, the handle is off center.  The string just barley catches the edge of the handle.  Most of the crookedness is in a 5-7 inch area of the handle.  Do I need to fix this, or can I make a centershot bow out of this?

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
Re: C-shaped stave
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2008, 03:01:41 pm »
I have done both....you really should straighten it out though....I have had a Center Shot Birch Bow like that for years...but it would be a lot easier and safer to heat the Bend out of the Handle area...and get the String tracking straight  JMO

[attachment deleted by admin]
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Gordon

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2008, 03:02:39 pm »
You will get differing opinions on this subject. But I like the string to track more or less down the center of the handle in order to keep the bow from torquing on release.
Gordon

Rich Saffold

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2008, 03:41:00 pm »
When you get the bow closer to final dimensions it should be an easy fix. You will want the string down the middle like Gordon said...
Rich

Offline George Nagel

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2008, 04:13:27 pm »
Once or twice I've just left them, thinking that it may improve shootability (like a bow cut to center).  It doesn't! The torque makes it difficult and unpredictable  to shoot.

What Gordon said.
George
___---------------------------------------------------------------->