Author Topic: Caul angle for static recurves  (Read 1812 times)

Offline cutty

Caul angle for static recurves
« on: November 13, 2019, 09:01:02 pm »
Planning on making my first static recurve. How do you decide on curved angle for tips? Is there a some formula for the caul or just pick a curve. Stave is 60” Osage and will be 1 3/4” wide out of fades.
Draw length is 26”. Thinking 3 1/2” tips but not sure on angle.

Offline dylanholderman

Re: Caul angle for static recurves
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2019, 10:25:52 pm »
when i made my static recurve i did 90 degree tips, i don't recommend that it was a real pain getting it to stop throwing the string off. though it was funny, i was working on it at the classic and everybody that walked by stopped did a double take and said "dang those are some big hooks"

60-65 degrees is what was recommended to me for my next one  :D

bownarra

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2019, 01:52:45 am »
There is nothing wrong with going to 90 degs BUT you the more angle you use the shorter and tighter they should be to stop the recurves ending up taking up too much limb.
I like 90 degs and short and sharp.
Remember a recurve works because the string angle is low.

Offline DC

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2019, 10:59:24 am »
I kinda think it depends on the length of the bow. I go with the idea that if the string doesn't lift off it, it's excess wood. So the longer the bow the lower the angle(less recurve) should be.

Offline HH~

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2019, 06:08:42 am »
I put big hooks on a 67" that I'm hunting with this year. At first I did not like it. But after tuning some heavy shafts and BH's for it I do. Has not taken and set at all. 43@28 and its quick. Radius on this one is long but I kept the limb tips beefy, string won't come off. The first are close to 90 degrees or just under.

Not sure of the angle but we built a jig last year for bending the tips. It's a small radius and turns a tight static tip, say 3.5" or so. They make a little smoother shooting bow and when strung keeps the bow a tad shorter in OAL.

The last pic is the wider radius long static. It is more like 60-70 degrees and these are harder to turn and keep straight but they perform.

HH~
« Last Edit: November 15, 2019, 06:15:15 am by HedgeHunter »
MAFA: Makin America Free Again

Long is the road, Hard is the way.

Mother Gue never raised such a foolish child. . . .

Readily will I display the intestinal fortitude required to fight onto the Ranger objective and complete the mission though I be the lone survivor. RLTW

Offline PatM

« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2019, 09:49:01 am »
Nice.  Like an old Bear static except made of the right material. ;)

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2019, 10:02:51 am »
That's a nice one with the deer :)