Author Topic: Rattlesnake backing with hide glue - how long to dry?  (Read 2889 times)

Offline kra

Rattlesnake backing with hide glue - how long to dry?
« on: April 19, 2008, 05:12:41 am »
Hi,
I applied a  a rattlesnake skin to a sinew backed bow with hide glue.

Now my question: how long shall this dry, as the snake skin seems to be more resistive to moisture exchange with the air.
Whats appropriate - one night in the heating box, one day, one week??

The sinew backing was well dried (approx 1 year) before.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2008, 10:12:12 am by kra »

Offline sonny

Re: Rattlesnake backing witz hide glue - how long to dry?
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2008, 10:01:51 am »
The sinew likely soaked up some moisture from the hide glue.
I'd give it a week or so.

Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
Re: Rattlesnake backing with hide glue - how long to dry?
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2008, 10:51:41 am »
Hide glue is an amazing thing. I'm glad to hear you used it.  It will bond to the sinew and old hide glue like it was all applied in one coat. I used a thin layer of glue and gave mine 4 days in a dry climate.   I wouldn't put it in a hot box though, I would put it in the house. At least for the first couple days. Hide glue should not be heated to much until it is dry.  Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2008, 11:43:27 am »
I would give it at least a week and even then you will feel an increase in weight as it cures completely over the next month or so.   Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline kra

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2008, 01:00:26 pm »
Ok, thanks for the advice.

Justin, for sure I use hide glue  ;D . I like the way how it fixes when cooling, becomes liquid when reheated and can be washed from hands and cloth afterwards (so I do not need to change my cloth after work ;D ).

So, I will take it out of my hotbox now

The sinew was dried fully for approx one year and I shot the bow already several times, so I hope not to see too mutch degradation in draw qeight and setback. Will show when ready.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2008, 01:09:13 pm »
By adding the skin with a water based glue(this will happen with the TiteBond glues also) you added moisture to the whole bow and sinew backing. This will not effect the performance of the bow if you allow the moisture to dissipate before you stress it.    Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC