Author Topic: Short osage bow dimensions needed.  (Read 2889 times)

bowkill

Short osage bow dimensions needed.
« on: April 16, 2008, 04:47:40 pm »
I posted earlier about an osage bow I'm trying for the first time.  I have removed all sapwood, and am now considering the lay-out.  Here are my new questions.
1.  The stave isn't perfectly straight.  I've seen snakey bows, do I need to find a line on the back of the bow, and draw the shape off of this?
2.  I have 2 small knot (possibly holes) near the end of the bow, that I don't think I can avoid.  The stave is 60".  Should I just make the bow 56" to completely avoid this problem? (I'm planning on making it bend in the handle and pull about 50#at 26")
3.  What dimensions should I use for the width at different points?

Sorry, but I can't attach photos.

330bull

Re: Short osage bow dimensions needed.
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2008, 05:21:37 pm »
If you ask me, I think you have a very workable piece of wood.

1. Yes.  Follow the natural grain line on the back of the bow to draw a centerline.
2. Yes.  I would cut off the problem knots and I think a 56" bow, as long as it bends through the handle, is fine with a 26" draw.
3. I would recommend a 1.5" width at the handles and stay that wide until the last 10" or so.  Then fade to a ~7/16" wide tip.

Now having said all that...there are hundreds more people with experience than me on this kind of bow, so you may want to wait for more input.  Most importantly I firmly believe you have a good piece of wood and you should be in good shape.

Good Luck!  Joe

bowkill

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2008, 05:28:52 pm »
Thanks a ton Joe.  I'm still a waiting on my wood to dry, so I'll have a long time to think about it.

Offline Badger

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2008, 08:02:55 pm »
     I think with a bendy handle bow i would keep it pretty narrow about 1" wide tapering from mid limb to about 3/8 tips. 1 1/4" maximum but keep the outer limbs pretty narrow, Steve