Author Topic: Chasing a ring on a green log Seal or not?  (Read 2692 times)

bowkill

Chasing a ring on a green log Seal or not?
« on: April 17, 2008, 03:40:05 pm »
I'm bring my green osage stave down to one ring.  I have sealed the ends, and the belly.  I am hoping it will be dry in 3-4 weeks.  Do I have to seal the back after redusing to one ring?  If so, How can I remove the seal (clear coat paint) after finishing the bow?

Offline RidgeRunner

Re: Chasing a ring on a green log Seal or not?
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2008, 04:16:12 pm »
YES! Seal the Back.  Seal it as soon as you finish bringing it down to one ring.
It might be a good idea to seal it as you go by sealing small areas as you finish them.

I almost always stop one ring shy of where I want the back to be.  Seal the stave up tight and let it dry.
Once it is dry the last ring is taken off along with the sealer.  That is just the way I do it.

Unless you have a hot box, or something that will work as one, there is not much chance this stave will be dry in three or four weeks if it is fresh cut.

David
David Key / N.W. Alabama

bowkill

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2008, 05:07:30 pm »
I have brought the stave down to about 1" thick, by 2" wide.  Someone on here said if I did that it would probably be ready in 3-4 weeks. 

Offline richpierce

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2008, 05:49:34 pm »
Strap it down to the narrow edge of a 2x4 or it may twist and bend wildly.

bowkill

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2008, 06:45:48 pm »
It allready as a little propeller twist to it.  I was planning on strapping it to something to try and get a little of that twist out of it also.  Is it OK to go ahead and cut out the shape of the bow now and just leave it thick?  or should I wait until its dry?

Offline mobow

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2008, 07:08:12 pm »
You need to seal the ends and the back the belly does not need to be sealed.  I do not know this for a fact but it may actually cause you some problems if the belly is sealed.  If you want it to dry which you do the moisture has to be able to get out somewhere.  The belly is the safest place for this to happen.  I would remove the seal from the belly, seal the ends and back and then let dry naturally or in a forced enviroment.  You can tie it dwon while drying to hold shape if you want or heat bend it once it is dry.  Hope this helps.  keith

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2008, 01:00:01 am »
I agree with what Keith just said. Seal the back and ends and remove the seal from the belly. Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC