Author Topic: Tiller check  (Read 9386 times)

Offline Deerhunter21

• What do you despise? By this are you truly known.
Re: Tiller check
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2019, 11:03:07 am »
Or this?
Life before death. Strength before weakness. Journey before destination.

Offline TimBo

« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2019, 11:16:43 am »
Personally, I would avoid thinking so much of making a circular/scooped shape, since I think he will end up with the same problem.  I would mark off 4" for the handle, and for now just make a more-or-less straight line to the thickest remaining part of the limb.  It can be scooped and shaped a bit as tillering progresses.  I'm not sure how long the handle is now, so this is a rough guess, but something like this picture maybe.

Offline TimBo

« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2019, 11:17:35 am »
Sorry my Gimp lines aren't great, but it is an approximation after all!

Offline Woodely

« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2019, 12:51:23 pm »
This is not the greatest photo because the right end is cut-off,   but anyway it shows the Measurement of the Fade Transition 14".   If the bow is to stiff you can always take away material form the fades to get some more bend,  but easy does it..!
"Doing bad work is an exercise in futility, but honestly making mistakes is trying your best."

Offline Deerhunter21

« Reply #19 on: October 01, 2019, 12:53:58 pm »
Ahh ok. Were settling with timbos because i cant keep changing stuff or hell get really frusturated

Offline Woodely

« Reply #20 on: October 01, 2019, 01:12:11 pm »
On your next build just do as shown in the photo and ya shouldn't have any issues.
"Doing bad work is an exercise in futility, but honestly making mistakes is trying your best."

Offline TimBo

« Reply #21 on: October 01, 2019, 02:23:45 pm »
I think the general idea is the same; that last photo just has a longer handle section in the middle.  I like mine around 4", but they can be longer for sure.  The important part is the smooth transition.  Good luck! 

Offline willie

« Reply #22 on: October 01, 2019, 02:27:16 pm »
if the handle area needs to be modified so that the grip  becomes too short, he might consider converting the design to a bendy handle bow, especially if it has been pulled further than shown in the pics and a hinge has already been created.

this would make it easier for him to see the already weakened spot easier, and tiller the rest of the bow down accordingly.

how much has the handle been narrowed in width compared to the widest part of the limbs?

a smaller point,  is that the left limb has some reflex that the right doesn't, so it will appear to bend less as tiller progresses

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #23 on: October 02, 2019, 07:38:26 am »
It appears your friend is enamored with the idea of making a bow just like we all were at some time. The difference is he didn't do his homework and dove into the project without the proper reference material on how to go about it.

I had one friend that loved archery and tried to make bows but had never been able to get a working bow, said he had made about 50 attempts  Five minutes at my house and I knew what his problem was, he got in a hurry and rasped on his staves without a plan and butchered everything he touched. He could ruin a perfectly good stave in a matter of minutes.

I showed him proper bow layout and how to slowly remove wood for the desired effect. Getting him to slow down was the hard part but he he managed it with me looking over his shoulder and made a shooter bow. He went on to make a bunch of good bows, he just needed direction.

Tell your fried to learn bow making first then go primitive if he chooses to.

Offline Deerhunter21

« Reply #24 on: October 02, 2019, 08:25:23 am »
i wish, but hes a youtuber and has completely set his mind on getting a bow, he is trying to go from primitive to modern age with only the tools he uses. his job is youtubing and it is hard to work around with what he doesn't know

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: October 02, 2019, 09:04:13 am »
Have your friend join PA and start w new bow with our help. A few questions and pics from him will get him a lot of sound info to get him to the next step ane eventually a new, good shooting bow...if that's what he wants
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Deerhunter21

« Reply #26 on: October 02, 2019, 09:20:05 am »
Ill tell him, but I don't think he actually desires to really pursue bow building right now, but just to get the video out and learn about the next thing. Hes more focused on going through the timeline as a whole and not focusing about one thing in particular. him starting over on a new bow may really frustrate him a lot.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2019, 09:30:49 am by Deerhunter21 »

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: October 02, 2019, 09:41:15 am »
Hardheadedness will keep him frustrated, joining PA will help to eliminate that frustration....but it up to him.  ;)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #28 on: October 02, 2019, 09:59:50 am »
Let him try a few, break a few.  If he is at all interested in continuing on he will at some point wise up...Or not.
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #29 on: October 02, 2019, 10:27:16 am »
Patience, Grasshopper, patience!  He needs to learn patience!  Try to get him to at least read this thread!  I assume he is in your peer group, age wise?  As Pat B said try to get him on to PA!  Nothing against YouTube, except that it doesn't have closed captioning, and is a bit crowded.  Good luck working with him.
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry