Author Topic: Tiller check  (Read 9377 times)

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
Re: Tiller check
« Reply #30 on: October 02, 2019, 11:11:13 am »
Yup I learned enough to break my first bow on YouTube. I learned to become a bowyer on this site and with the help of true, honest criticism.
I'm not so much not liking the shape of his fades. I don't like the abrupt bend just out of it. Especially the left limb. It's the only place it's bending and he needs to get everything working together
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Deerhunter21

• What do you despise? By this are you truly known.
« Reply #31 on: October 02, 2019, 12:15:38 pm »
Patience, Grasshopper, patience!  He needs to learn patience!  Try to get him to at least read this thread!  I assume he is in your peer group, age wise?  As Pat B said try to get him on to PA!  Nothing against YouTube, except that it doesn't have closed captioning, and is a bit crowded.  Good luck working with him.
Hawkdancer

No he is not in my age group, i was watching a video and he mentioned making a bow. He cut down a stave with a axe,  split jt and forgot to seal it. I just commented saying that he needs to seal it and it went from there. He asked me questions and i helped. Then i started to ask questions to try to help. Its kinda jard to work with him because it can take a day for him to answer and in that day hes worked even more on it.

I try not to tell people my age (for obvipus reasons) but also because people are so quick to discredit me because of my age. Thats why i didnt really tell you guys till a little bit ago.

I  think hes being paitient but honestly, untill he answers i dont know what hes doing with it.

I dont know if he'll visit the site but i dont know, its up to him.

Hes a really cool guy but the communication is just hard. Thats whats kinda frusturating, the communication.
Yeah BJ those fades are scaring me
« Last Edit: October 02, 2019, 12:26:30 pm by Deerhunter21 »
Life before death. Strength before weakness. Journey before destination.

Offline Deerhunter21

« Reply #32 on: October 03, 2019, 11:52:13 am »
He says hes not going to be able to get it closer   :-\

Offline Deerhunter21

« Reply #33 on: October 03, 2019, 11:59:25 am »
I think he means on a long string. Im working on it.

edit- when I said "im working on it" i ment im thinking of what he should do next.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2019, 01:39:18 pm by Deerhunter21 »

Offline jeffp51

« Reply #34 on: October 03, 2019, 12:25:41 pm »
is this the guy that does the "how to make everything" channel?

Offline Deerhunter21

« Reply #35 on: October 03, 2019, 01:34:20 pm »
yes

Offline TimBo

« Reply #36 on: October 03, 2019, 01:39:09 pm »
Well, the handle does look better.  The right limb is getting a big hinge - he should mark that spot and just remove wood everywhere else until both limbs are balanced.  If he is just wanting a quickie, emergency survival type bow to see if he can do it, he might not need to do a lot more after fixing the hinge issue.  I will be interested to see if he can salvage it and end up with something shootable (for his purposes). 

Offline Deerhunter21

« Reply #37 on: October 03, 2019, 01:42:55 pm »
where are you seeing the hinge? i see it right where the tips start to get thick. I told him to thin the right tip because that looks more like a Syiah (if thats how you say it) while his right tip has some bend but is still stiff. I just dont want to miss anything.

Offline TimBo

« Reply #38 on: October 03, 2019, 03:44:57 pm »
It is a bit hard to tell from the photo, and it could be the angle, but it looks like the right limb is bending more right in the center...right under the black fan in the background.  If the limb edges are not straight on to the camera, that may not be accurate, but either way the right side is bending more than the left.

If it is a hinge and doesn't like the tillering gizmo idea, have him try using his thumb and index finger as thickness gauges - it is easy to feel variations in thickness that way, and he could do worse than using that method to get things more even. 

Even if he doesn't end up making more bows, if he has a big YouTube following other people may get the bug from his video...perhaps he could direct them to PA if that happens for more in-depth discussion!

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #39 on: October 03, 2019, 04:42:31 pm »
 I'm seeing the same thing Timbo is. Still have no idea how much weight he is drawing it to.
Also agree with Tim about feeling thickness with thumb and index finger. Don't remove any wood from the thin areas that are bending until the rest is bending. He has to learn that to make a bow or teach anyone else to. That is absolutely essential for the bow to be a dependable weapon.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Deerhunter21

« Reply #40 on: October 03, 2019, 07:27:22 pm »
he braced it and I told him to not pull it past his target weight in the beginning. Its looking good now that its not a long string, just needs to losen a smal area by the fades. the fade was extending too far (like 3 inches past where it should have) and those 3" were stiff.     

Problem is that he thinks he heard a tick so instead of pulling it to 40# but to 30#. im having him scour the bow for any sign of a crack and round the corners. Ill tell him the finger thing once we figure out the crack problem (if there is one). Ill probably send him what you guys said and tell him theres more of the tips on the Primitive Archer forum.

hes looking for A 40# bow so I told him to go 45# because of set because he wants to Theoretically be able to hunt with it.

« Last Edit: October 03, 2019, 07:54:47 pm by Deerhunter21 »

Offline Deerhunter21

« Reply #41 on: October 03, 2019, 07:45:12 pm »
Is this bad? How can we fix it?

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #42 on: October 03, 2019, 11:44:10 pm »
If it isn't a problem, it is a challenge, if I am seeing correctly!  Btw, you can help me build a bow any time!  You know to ask questions!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #43 on: October 04, 2019, 07:12:33 am »
Everything is bad about this bow, the back, the layout, grain runout and the tillering, the bottom line is you can't just hack one out and expect success. I suggest starting over.

Offline Deerhunter21

« Reply #44 on: October 04, 2019, 07:21:14 am »
Thanks hawkdancer! yeah its a real challange.

Ill suggest it Eric. hes not really into this waiting thing. he says its dry but took him about a week to dry his bow because he put it in a heat box with a ton of dehumidifiers while it was roughed out. I dont think its dry though.

Ive told him that his first bow has a big chance of breaking. hes already pulled a splinter and has heard a "tick". Ill suggest him restarting but untill hes chosen to restart or it breaks, im going to continue to help when he asks.

This has become pretty stressful and scary.