Author Topic: Staves from mill slabs  (Read 2155 times)

Offline IrishJay

Staves from mill slabs
« on: October 05, 2019, 01:25:44 pm »
I found an area that was recently logged, they setup an onsite mill and cut their boards as they were dropping trees. They left several huge piles of slabs behind. I did some poking around the other day and pulled out a peice of maple (not sure which species, but its hard). Saw some oak, hickory and birch buried in there too, but since I was alone and no-one knew where I was I didn't want to do too much climbing and digging.

I got 3 usuable staves from the maple slab I grabbed though.

Anyone else have any luck with staves they've come by this way?

"The best camouflage pattern is called, 'Sit down and be quiet!' Your grandpa hunted deer in a red plaid coat, think about that for a second." - Fred Bear

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
Re: Staves from mill slabs
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2019, 01:38:14 pm »
I've got a Osage stave from slab wood. I chased a ring on it and reduced it close to bow size last spring. Should work.
Bjrogg
Ps at least as long as nothing else wrong with it. Bugs or fungus
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline bassman

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2019, 01:56:33 pm »
If it is Rock Maple sometimes call sugar Maple it will make a good bow. I have tried Red Maple a few times with no success. Good luck on your builds. Were I live the Amish have many saw mills. Lots of slabs piled up. I never inquired ,because they always look to weathered to me.

Offline IrishJay

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2019, 02:05:08 pm »
Bass, where abouts are you? I'm in Amish country myself.
"The best camouflage pattern is called, 'Sit down and be quiet!' Your grandpa hunted deer in a red plaid coat, think about that for a second." - Fred Bear

Offline bassman

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2019, 02:38:46 pm »
Rural Valley, Plumville, Sagamore area. Western pa.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2019, 02:50:10 pm »
Looks like you might have a secret gold mine! If you can find the timber crew, maybe they will give you a head's up when they are going to be working in an area and you will be able to mine the fresh cut stuff. 

Peel the bark and see whatcha got fast! Be sure to seal the back immediately or toss it aside as firewood.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline IrishJay

« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2019, 03:21:24 pm »
Western Pa here too Bass.

JW I'd definitely like to find out where theyre head next. I'm going to get as much usable stuff from this site as I can, but this property was mostly maple and black cherry. I'd love to dig their pile on a property with more hard woods.

Offline timmyd

« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2019, 04:35:25 pm »
Western PA here to. I know that area. Wife has family in Dayton and I go up to that smicksburg produce auction every year. Cool find though

Offline IrishJay

« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2019, 05:55:55 pm »
All of us western Pa guys should put together a little shoot and get together some time.

Offline bassman

« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2019, 09:04:17 am »
That would be fun.