Author Topic: To cut or not - that is the question  (Read 2223 times)

Offline NicAzana

To cut or not - that is the question
« on: September 02, 2019, 03:07:59 am »
So I have this youngish laburnum tree at the side of the road on my land - It looks like theres a nice deflex/reflex bow in there with almost no bending required. Of course, there's probably only that one bow in it, and if there's any twist in the trunk... Hard to see on laburnum i think.

I can't decide whether to cut it or not - what do you guys think?

Nicolas

Side:

Front view:
« Last Edit: September 02, 2019, 03:22:23 am by NicAzana »
time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana

Online Hamish

Re: To cut or not - that is the question
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2019, 04:14:07 am »
Laburnum is a good bow wood. Maybe you're seeing something differently to me, but that tree doesn't look very bow worthy.

Offline NicAzana

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2019, 04:41:54 am »
This is where i see the bow (side profile view)

Offline bentstick54

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2019, 09:47:16 am »
I知 betting those 2 branches coming off will be a problem. They will probably go to deep into the trunk to avoid.

Offline Stickhead

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2019, 10:02:22 am »
I say give it a try.  It looks like the branches are at the handle area, so you値l either have enough good wood there, or you値l at least have two nice billets you could join.

Offline scp

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2019, 10:34:52 am »
I often make the handle area 12 inch long, sometimes even almost 20 inch long. Doing so will make a "short bow" with long overall length. Some European bows were made that way in the Middle Ages.

Offline DC

« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2019, 10:53:07 am »
I see your bow and I also see a billet in the upper trunk and one in the big branch. Then there's the rest of the tree that we can't see. You can make a bow out of a pretty skinny stick. I sometimes struggle whether to cut a tree when there's only one or two around but that gets into a whole philosophical thing.

Offline NicAzana

« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2019, 11:57:47 am »
Thanks for the input, guys. There痴 a few others nearby (not on my land), but I also have two larger trees that need to be cut down this fall, since they池e hanging over buildings, so I might restrain my self untill I know what I値l get out of those. I知 just tempted by that natural deflex/reflex shape... Good advice about keeping the handle a little long, with those branches coming out, I think.

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2019, 01:56:55 pm »
If it helps any, laburnum does  best in a sunny spot and well drained soil so that tree may not be destined to thrive in  a shady location like that

bownarra

« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2019, 03:01:38 pm »
Labernum is absolutely first rate bow wood.
The large branch coming out of the side of the upper 'limb' is going to make that a no no.
You could get a set of billets out of the bottom section. Split them  through the middle as we are looking in the photo, remove sapwood on the outer split, true them up, splice in deflex and recurve the tips. Then sinew back. There are two nicely reflexed billets in there.

Offline sleek

« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2019, 03:49:11 pm »
I often make the handle area 12 inch long, sometimes even almost 20 inch long. Doing so will make a "short bow" with long overall length. Some European bows were made that way in the Middle Ages.

I've given this passing thought s few times. I bet its makes a thick bow but a smooth draw.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline NicAzana

« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2019, 02:07:30 am »
bownarra: Theres no branches coming out of the upper limb, only two large ones at the handle.

stuckinthemud: I did not consider that. The soil if definitely well drained here, but there's not much light where this one is growing. I guess laburnum is like pizza: When it's good, it's REALLY good; when it's bad.. ..its still pretty good!?

sleek: didn't they do something like this in TBB4 with andaman-mollegabet (they called it holmegaard) designs? Long handle section and then a lever bow limg at either end?

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2019, 01:04:23 pm »
wouldnt hurt to try,, :)

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2019, 03:44:03 pm »
Growing in shade will make the timber less dense and growing on  slope makes it much more likely to be twisted but the tree is also less likely to survive in the long term, so that might make you feel less guilty about felling it