Author Topic: Feeling demotivated  (Read 2313 times)

Offline Ryan Jacob

Feeling demotivated
« on: August 26, 2019, 07:19:37 am »
School’s stressful enough as is, my math still isn’t up to par. It doesn’t help that I seem to have lost my touch recently. I can no longer knap the thin blanks I could before, running out of glass to work with. Really wish I didn’t give away all my work to my friends? My percussion tools and pressure flakers have finally splintered out or split. All 11 of my attempted bows have blown up recently. I know gotta keep practicing to make sure I don’t degrade any further but I’m not really feeling it anymore. Any tips?

Offline JEB

Re: Feeling demotivated
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2019, 07:25:04 am »
School first. After you graduate you will have plenty of time to play.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2019, 07:59:08 am »
School first. After you graduate you will have plenty of time to play.

Good advice. Sometimes you just need to have less on your plate. Take a little break from everything. Maybe make some new knapping tools. Relax and enjoy your friends.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Deerhunter21

• What do you despise? By this are you truly known.
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2019, 09:42:00 am »
hey im in your boat. started high school and I havent been able to knap squat. havent been able to build bows. I feed off of this site. seeing the kindness and the awesome ideas keeps me wanting to do more. i try little things. trades, arrows, just fun stuff. take time to really learn. if you can go to the Marshalls in may and ill meet you there  :OK . keep on going! also try to meet people and go shooting with people that also make bows and shoot traditonal! your doin great.
Life before death. Strength before weakness. Journey before destination.

Offline DC

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2019, 11:08:35 am »
Like others said, your plate is too full. You'll probably find that you're pushing yourself to knap when you have a spare hour rather than when you want to. Your work will suffer because of it. maybe instead of knapping try a little napping. :D

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2019, 11:11:20 am »
I agree with BJ and JEB!  Just sort of relax and breathe!  Take a break from the hobbies, make a new friend, boy or girl, and enjoy school as much as possible!  You can get tutoring for the math, and many of us have had trouble with it in school, but get as much of it as you can.  The knapping and bow making will come around and very likely improve. 
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline Mesophilic

« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2019, 01:12:57 pm »
This calls for some Demotivators

(seriously...hang in there and try to laugh now and again)

Trying is the first step to failure
-Homer Simpson-

Offline Mr. Woolery

« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2019, 02:28:34 pm »
I'm back to school myself.  In my case, I'm 45 and I am reinventing myself as a civil engineer.  (Life hint: don't get the Journalism degree in college.  It is fun to get and there are essentially no jobs in the field.  Pick a major that will let you pay back the student loans.)  When I went to college the first time, I was afraid of the math because my high school math teacher told me I'd never be able to learn calculus.  Turns out Calculus is really not more complicated than algebra, it is just the next step.  It took me 20 years to get rid of that belief that I couldn't do it. 

But I get where you are coming from.  I get it very well.  I'm burned out.  I have one more year to go and I keep trying to figure out how to just take a break for a year instead.  Spend time in the shop, do stuff with the kids, that sort of thing.  Only, I'm running out of time, due to Alaska politics.  The new governor is working hard to defund the university system in the state and I may well see my program lose accreditation in a couple of years, so I need to graduate while ABET still thinks it is a good program.

Yesterday, I had 3 hours I could have spent in the workshop.  But I was tired.  I didn't do it.  Today, I will be spending about 6 hours doing homework for one class.  Maybe I'll be done in 5, but it won't be less than that.  I look at projects I've made in the past, I see skill that I am not sure I could actually bring to another project today, even if I had the time.  I mean, I know I have the skills, but I'm not sure I have the little "edge" that comes from having inspiration as well as skill. 

I don't know where you are in school.  I can't give you great advice because I don't have any myself.  But I can at least let you know that you are not alone in this. 

How about this: pick one bow design you know you can make work.  A simple board bow with linen back, perhaps.  I mean, there's not a lot of character in that sort of bow, but it is fairly bulletproof.  Make one.  Shoot it.  This is your "I know I can do this" bow.  (I have a particular knife pattern that is my "I know I can do this" knife - a basic wood carving knife that I can knock out in a couple of hours, tops.  It serves to remind me that I can make a good knife, even if my recent efforts don't live up to that knowledge.)  The next point you knap that you actually like, even if it is very simple, you keep for yourself. 

These are not motivators.  These are establishing a base line of "I can do this."  They don't motivate you to reach further, they keep you from getting so demotivated that you say "I can't." 

After that, you remind yourself that when math gets hard (part of the problem is that it is taught so badly - a lot of math teachers go into that field because they find math easy, so they never had to learn how to do something that is really hard to them and that means they don't know how to teach it to someone for whom geometric proofs are not simple and obvious and beautiful) that you can do stuff nobody else in your class can do.  You may be getting a lower grade than you want, but you can do stuff the teacher can't even imagine doing.  That's something that actually works for me, though I have no idea why it should. 

Keep your eyes on the prize, Ryan.  You can make it.  I don't know what your prize is, but I keep looking to the horizon where I know I won't have to break my body to get firewood for the winter once I have the engineering job and can pay someone younger to do the labor.  I look to the day when I live in Alaska because I choose to, not because I can't afford to move.  (Up here, if I want to move to another state, I have to pass through a foreign country on the way.  Job interviews outside mean getting on a plane every time they want to talk to me.  It costs so much to heat a house in the winter that trying to save money to move is really hard to do.) 

You can do this.  Not easily.  But you can.

-Patrick

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2019, 04:15:18 pm »
I've spent all day thinking how to answer this, but Patrick has put down everything I wanted to say beautifully.

I once made my way as a study skills tutor in University in Wales  and the most practical advice I can offer is to learn to love GoogleScholar, this is NOT the same as Google, it is the place electronic copies of every scholarly article ever published is accessed. Use the related articles button - the button looks like plain text - to narrow searches . For maths we ALWAYS sent our students to youtube first, you will be astonished at how good the lectures and demos on there can be. Also, in addition to using our on-line resources, we would search the on-line study skills resources of other universities, every institution deals with things differently and you will find one you click with.

I don't know how US schools work but if there is a study skills centre you would be wise to access it.

Hope this helps
Andrew
« Last Edit: September 01, 2019, 04:19:24 pm by stuckinthemud »

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2019, 12:18:34 am »
Andrew,  Thanks for the info on GoggleScholar, that wasn't an invention when I was in grad school!  In fact, there wasn't an Internet, either (lol) >:D!  Should be an excellent resource.

Patrick,  Good luck with the degree pursuit, stay with it.  I was in charge of the Trade Adjustment Act while I was working and coached  quite a few adults through career retraining.  Sounds like your gov'ner doesn't realize the value of higher education to a state's economy, any more and I'm being political!  Opps!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline DLH

« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2019, 11:00:29 pm »
I say keep with it and slow down if you need to. I know it don’t seem like it but this will be when you have the most free time in your life except maybe retirement and you won’t have the same body at that point. Get out shoot kayak fish hunt whatever you enjoy on the weekends and be deligent studying and it will come around. Once you are chasing kids working 40+ a week and a honey do list that’s so long it has to be written on a scroll your time will be tight.