Author Topic: Del's Decorated Elder Bow  (Read 4364 times)

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
Del's Decorated Elder Bow
« on: August 26, 2019, 01:08:31 pm »
I've made this little Elder shortie 40# @26"
I've decorated with a nod to NA bows but it's not supposed to be "authentic" or a copy... Northern Europe doesn't have any such tradition and I wanted to something spontaneous without direct reference to NA bows.
Anyhow, I just hope it's not seen as disrespectful to the NA tradition... because of that I'm posting it here before anywhere else as I know you guys will give an honest opinion.
I'll fill in some of the stats later....
Del
BTW the feather are from a road kill Mallard and the horse hair picked from a barbed wire fence... I got some odd looks picking it up  ;D
« Last Edit: August 26, 2019, 01:14:04 pm by Del the cat »
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Deerhunter21

• What do you despise? By this are you truly known.
Re: Del's Decorated Elder Bow
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2019, 01:12:37 pm »
Nice del! i really like it! on your bowyers diary page I seem to only see the broken ones, its nice to see one that made it.
Life before death. Strength before weakness. Journey before destination.

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2019, 03:04:01 pm »
I have made some that were a modern take on plains style bows. I consider them an homage to the originals, as I do this one. Nice work!
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2019, 04:10:41 pm »
Hey Del, thanks for posting that card trick to your blog, going to try it on my current wonky bow project. Oh.nice little bow btw, love the decor too

Offline Santanasaur

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2019, 04:59:00 pm »
Authentic or not, nicely done Del. I love your videos and your tinkering attitude.  I’ve  gotten a lot out of watching

Offline DC

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2019, 05:58:51 pm »
I sure wish I could pull that off. Any artsy stuff I try looks like I did it 70 years ago. Looks good Del ;)

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2019, 07:36:06 pm »
That is a beautiful tiller Mr. Cat. Very nice and I enjoy seeing a NA influenced bow from you. It's always interesting trying different stuff. I'm the same though. I'm not trying to build replicas. I'm just influenced by what I consider beautiful bows. Imitation is the best form of flattering.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2019, 08:00:14 pm »
Nice bend and the art looks great.  8)
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2019, 09:32:41 pm »
Del, when I first read the title I thought you were celebrating us old farts but then I realized you were using elder wood for the bow.  ;D
Elder looks like a beautiful wood and apparently good bow wood. Very nice bow, by the way.  :OK
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline jeffp51

« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2019, 10:17:48 pm »
very nice Mr. The Cat.  I like it.

Offline backtowood B2W

« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2019, 11:38:02 pm »
Always fun to read your posts!
Like this shorty a lot, the paint job....hmmm...sorry Del....but that's a personal thing. But it isn't disrespectful I think. Didn' expect a bendy shorty from you...cool! How long is it?
BTW

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2019, 12:21:48 am »
Nice, I don't. Think you are Dissing anyone.  Imitation is the best form of flattery. Your rendition is neat.
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2019, 04:05:25 am »
@B2W It's 56" ntn, which isn't that short in the grand scheme of things but it's got a few of those burly knots on it so I don't want to risk it at too much draw. Mind it's only just starting to pull out the natural reflex that it attained when it dried out.
I actually draw about 27" these days, but I'll shoot it from a short draw (if I can avoid smacking myself in the lip when I do it!  ;D ::) )
It's 1 1/2" wide which is the full diameter of the stick.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2019, 06:55:15 am »
      Del, nice bendy man...I see you left it a little stiff at the knot on the left limb and ever so slightly stiff in the handle the way it supposed to be...Nothing wrong with a good insurance policy...I think you sent me for a loop on this design from you, but that's what Cat's do...Wish Rich was around to see this one...That represents NA style, they had a way of marking their own bows the way they seen fit...Would really love to see your in hand pic...Much respect Sir...
                                                                                                                             Don
« Last Edit: August 27, 2019, 02:16:41 pm by burchett.donald »
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2019, 08:14:47 am »
Very nice bow...was the Mallard tasty?
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com