Author Topic: Osage sapwood  (Read 3076 times)

Offline Mafort

Osage sapwood
« on: August 26, 2019, 08:56:59 am »
So haven’t made a bow from Osage orange yet but I did have a question for those who do. I have a failrly decent stage of it with no grub holes or anything in the sapwood. Can I thin the sapwood like yew and use it for the back of the bow? Should I just go ahead and rip it off of there? Leave it full thickness? It’s fairly narrow which is why I ask about an inch and a half at most and maybe the same in thickness. Any tips?

Offline sleek

Re: Osage sapwood
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2019, 09:10:29 am »
Sap makes a fine back, done it lots of times, all the way to a 95 pound bow.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline dylanholderman

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2019, 09:17:15 am »
Agreed, I made a 90 degree static recurve recently that had a sapwood back.

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2019, 09:40:36 am »
Not me. I rip it off looking for a good clean hardwood ring. Tried one years ago that way and it was ugly as sin. Personal thing perhaps.
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline bassman

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2019, 10:14:44 am »
It works either way as stated above. When I use Osage ,Black Locust, and White Oak I chase to a hard wood ring. Just a choice.

Offline ohma2

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2019, 03:17:52 pm »
I like a sapwood osage back forlooks ..i have a 62 "flatbow right now that has pin groups and rolller coaster in   almost the full length  its a plleasing bow to shoot and look at.build what you like .

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2019, 04:37:51 pm »
Yes, you can use osage sapwood on the back but unlike yew you'll need to have a good, clear sapwood back.
Osage sapwood is probably stronger than a lot of the whitewoods.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2019, 09:23:50 pm by Pat B »
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline sleek

« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2019, 05:05:04 pm »
I'm going to make an intuitive statement,  based on a few bows. Sap is very tension strong. I have hinged a bow recently that would have broken a heartwood bow, but rather than break  it took lots of set in the area only. I feel it's actually very good back but not as performance enhancing as heartwood as its more fibrous and hydroscopic.

That's just from experience, not any intentional testing. However,  I have bent just sapwood strips almost into a U shape ( with lots of set ) without breakage, heartwood wouldn't stand for such torture.

Online Hamish

« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2019, 06:04:28 pm »
When you thin the sapwood of yew, you are usually only able to get a relatively even layer of sapwood, rather than follow one ring because the growth rings are much thinner than good osage.

When thinning osage sapwood you want to follow one ring on the back, because it is a ring porous wood.

As its your first bow from osage, you probably don't have the insight or experience to get the potential benefit from a sapwood/heartwood combo, that someone like Sleek is interested in exploring.

If you said the stave was thin and that there mightn't be enough heartwood by itself to make a bow, I would say sure go ahead and use the sapwood.
In the end its your stave and your choice, and I admit the combo of osage  sap/heart also makes a nice looking bow, so whatever you make it will turn out good.

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2019, 07:32:23 pm »
if there is not much wood,,sapwood is fine,
if you have a bigger stave,, the sap wood next to the heart wood is almost turning to heart wood,,
if you have ever looked at old osage,, the sap wood will rot off,, but the heart wood will not rot,,
I have used it successfully,  but prefer heartwood if I can,, or the sap wood right next to heart wood,,,,
on a small peace with really no option,, of course go for it with the sap wood,,

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2019, 07:41:20 pm »
I've got a couple just like Brad discribed that I really like.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline sleek

« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2019, 08:03:56 pm »
Brad has a solid point there, it's best to thin the sap down. Mostly so the bow remains about a 50/50 ration of heart to sap, or less sap if possible.  You dont need to chase a ring on sap, or heart for that matter, you can just decrown.If it's super thin ring, you dont need to worry about following the grain much at all, just treat it like yew.

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2019, 09:11:29 pm »
The one I made with sapwood was just ugly. I know that beauty is in the..yadda yadda, but the back was a...urine color, and when I put a finish on it there were little cracks everywhere. Never so much as tempted to try it again. I was a beginner so could have been my fault.

Offline sleek

« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2019, 09:17:00 pm »
The one I made with sapwood was just ugly. I know that beauty is in the..yadda yadda, but the back was a...urine color, and when I put a finish on it there were little cracks everywhere. Never so much as tempted to try it again. I was a beginner so could have been my fault.

Those cracks are why I called sapwood hydroscopic. It soaks water up, then cracks when it dries. Even high humidity and dew will crack it like thousands of checks. Also a heat treat will crack the back from rapid moisture loss through the back. I havent had one fail from it, but it sure looks suspicious.

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2019, 09:33:39 pm »
Yeah, it was literally covered, handle to tip with these cracks. They were not visible until I put TruOil on it, and they were everywhere. It held together, but it looked like death eating a cracker.