Author Topic: New heat treating method??  (Read 62354 times)

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
Re: New heat treating method??
« Reply #300 on: January 01, 2020, 10:11:52 am »
We make a mistake in over romanticizing this subject.  Lots of things that can be admired about the broader culture.  Scientific discovery was not among them.
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline wstanley

« Reply #301 on: January 01, 2020, 10:32:02 am »
Yes, they are simple bows out there. Is the horn bow and sinew backed bow not an innovation beyond the simpler self bow? Hunter gatherer societies developed these weapons - The Sheep Eaters/Shoshone, Hidatsa,  Nez Perfe and some Paiute groups. Paiutes built incredible bows and have always been dubbed the lesser of tribes because of their very nomadic lifestyle and few possessions. The Modoc, Klamath, Hupa, Shasta built some of the most beautiful bows in North America. In general California tribe arrows are always a work of art and very intricate.

All these tribes are “ hunter gatherer societies”, yet they developed these bows. There was no need for it, the sheep eater and buffalo eating tribes did not have to developed these horn bows to be successful in their hunt. Look at the Comanche bow, very simple not much to it. Of course the horn bow folks didn’t t have Osage. My point is they sure as heck took time to develope better performing bows than what would have been needed to survive and provide for their tribe.

Offline PatM

« Reply #302 on: January 01, 2020, 10:41:23 am »
Yes, but those bows are still on the simple side.   Even the horn based ones.   

Next you'll be comparing a longhouse to the spire of Notre Dame as pretty much similar architecture and wood based engineering.

Offline wstanley

« Reply #303 on: January 01, 2020, 10:55:20 am »
Oh man! Bows in essence are simple. No, I’m not. Then I would be using your archaic rationale that stips cultures to their technological accomplishments and nothing else.

Offline wstanley

« Reply #304 on: January 01, 2020, 11:14:28 am »
But I’m sure you think French culture of that period is superior to the longhouse cultures because they built Notre Dame.

Comparing apples to oranges.

Like I said see beyond their technology.

Offline PatM

« Reply #305 on: January 01, 2020, 11:28:54 am »
Technologically, yes.

Other parts of what constitutes culture and make one "superior" to the other are more of an opinion on what appeals to the person observing it.

Offline wstanley

« Reply #306 on: January 01, 2020, 11:40:23 am »
I don’t disagree with that!

Offline scp

« Reply #307 on: January 01, 2020, 12:13:28 pm »
We are getting too closer to the political argument here. Let's just do the philosophical one, instead. ;) Why are we here? Why are we making "primitive" bows when we could be making remote control airplanes or even automatic rifles? We are not even using fiberglass because it is the product of too much technology! This is the problem of natural human tendency to pursue the limit of our capability, no matter what. It is one thing to try to figure out what is the "authentic" or best way to heat treat a wooden bow using "primitive" means. But it is completely another to argue about who is the first one that discovered the technique and has proof of discovery. We are here probably because we do not like the competitive and egocentric ways of modern society. Let's go back to the "old" way of sharing our experience freely (as in TBB and other books) and stop fighting over the technique like patent lawyers, please.

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #308 on: January 01, 2020, 12:36:23 pm »
Disagree with that. I am not here as a result of some dislike I have regarding modernity. We live in a marvelous time and I am greatfull to be a part of it. I am interested in this stuff because I can be. It interests me. I don’t have any need to overly romanticize some ancient practice or wrongly hate on other modern practices. Good and bad can be found in both. In every culture, in every period and in every corner of the planet. This is my musical instrument I play because I like the notes. It’s that simple for me.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2020, 12:42:33 pm by SLIMBOB »
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline PatM

« Reply #309 on: January 01, 2020, 12:55:28 pm »
  Yep.  I just happen to like natural materials and seeing what I can get out of them.

We all draw lines somewhere in our interests or life in general, regardless of what's actually available to us.

Offline clewis

« Reply #310 on: January 01, 2020, 01:37:12 pm »
I watched the film and found it entertaining taken with a grain of salt. I didn’t expect to be blown away by some mystical rediscovered way of heat treating but definitely learned a different method. I think it could have been released to YouTube like many of Billy’s other videos but oh well, these guys gotta make a living. I’ll stick with my method of heat treating, works for me. I don’t have a crony to measure arrow speed but I do have some of Marcs bows as a comparison and while mine may not be as efficient as his they still fling an arrow pretty good and even better with heat treatment.

Offline scp

« Reply #311 on: January 01, 2020, 04:28:05 pm »
I don't like to use a heat gun because of noise and power waste. I don't like to work outside too much. Therefore I cannot use any open fire. Actually I found out that the silicon heating pad for making musical instruments works even better: silent, safe, low power use, and much better temperature control. The most important thing I realized is that even but low temperature for a long time, at least one hour, works much better, in theory and in practice. Hanging a bow over a fire pit sounds pretty good to me, if you know what you are doing.  Do not heat treat the back, at all costs, because that will make the bow too brittle.

Offline Santanasaur

« Reply #312 on: January 01, 2020, 06:42:16 pm »
scp i’ve been using a silicone heating pad as well. it’s nice being able to match the shape of any limb while cutting down labor. mine is for thawing winter pipes and has a thermostat up to 400f. I can heat treat a little better with the heat gun and best with coals but the big advantage of the silicone pad is that it’s passive work and I only need to adjust it every 10 or 20 minutes. For me operating a heat gun for 45 minutes a limb is a real hassle, especially at multiple heat treats per bow, and coals are something I save for special bows.

What I really want for day to day use is a flexible heater that puts out radiant heat like coals...but most of the products and rigs  I’ve tried out have burnt up, started a fire, been too weak, or filled the room with plastic smoke.

Offline silent sniper

« Reply #313 on: January 03, 2020, 09:07:50 am »
I watched the video and found the information interesting and intriguing.  I believe the guys did a good job presenting their method along with the benefits they found. I am happy with what I learned from the video. There was plenty of information presented that was new knowledge to me. I took away quite a few new ideas to try. 
Cheers,
Taylor
« Last Edit: January 03, 2020, 09:11:57 am by silent sniper »

Offline aznboi3644

« Reply #314 on: January 03, 2020, 09:45:10 am »
Has anyone ever tried heat treating over a bed of coals, but with the using the same idea the Japanese sword makers use.  Like coat the back of the bow in mud to prevent too much heat getting to it?

Just a thought that just popped in my head.