Author Topic: Snakeskin question  (Read 7756 times)

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
Re: Snakeskin question
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2008, 11:49:48 pm »
They're a black rat snake, known in other color phases as chicken snakes or yellow rat snakes. They just come in standard black with a white belly here. I've seen a few 7-8' long and nearly big around as your wrist back in the day, but you don't see any of the really big ones anymore. Everybody around here used to keep them in their barns to eat rats. I've got a salvaged roadkill one that'll wind up on a bow at some point.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline huntertrapper

« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2008, 12:35:32 am »
yeah sounds like the one im talkin about. hickry, yep non poisinos and get really big some times. could back a English longbow. :D
Modern Day Tramp

Offline Aries

« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2008, 05:41:45 pm »
Dang! 7-8' :o   That sounds like that would be a better bet than goin after those mean ol,(and poisoness) mocs.  I don't know of any around here though :-[  Ty
"If the only tool you have is a hammer,
                   you tend to see every problem as a nail."
                               ~Abraham Maslow

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2008, 07:57:49 pm »

I only kill copperheads because they are so dangerous due to their terrific camo and their tendency to hang around the house.
I'd probably kill mocs too if we had some around here.
I'm sure glad nothing is hunting people just because we are dangerous. We are the most deadly species on the planet and probably serve less purpose than most.  I never kill snakes unless they are in real close proximity to kids, and I plan to eat them.  Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline DanaM

« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2008, 09:28:30 pm »
Yooper Pine snakes aren't balck ??? sounds like ya been in texas too long :o ;) ;D
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline welch2

• redneck heathen
« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2008, 09:31:37 pm »
Here's a black snake on one of my bows.

Ralph

Offline kayakfisher

« Reply #21 on: April 14, 2008, 09:39:56 pm »
Well dang Justin it would take a mighty big bow to put us on , I want the upper limp it doesn't get  nicked, or drug in the dirt as much
                                                        Dennis

I'm sure glad nothing is hunting people just because we are dangerous. We are the most deadly species on the planet and probably serve less purpose than most.  I never kill snakes unless they are in real close proximity to kids, and I plan to eat them.  Justin
The river of life twist and bends, you never know whats around the next bend till your there

Springfield Mo home of  Kids,Tomato's and Tornado's

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #22 on: April 14, 2008, 11:11:24 pm »
Yooper Pine snakes aren't balck ??? sounds like ya been in texas too long :o ;) ;D

Wa'll  I didn't say Yooper Pine Snakes....and I didn't mean solid Black either....Black like a Black Cobra....
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome