Author Topic: Black Snake Bow  (Read 17592 times)

Offline recurve shooter

Re: Black Snake Bow
« Reply #45 on: April 15, 2008, 10:40:38 pm »
amazeing bow. i do good to make a survival bow. :P
lets just shoot it

radius

« Reply #46 on: April 15, 2008, 11:06:02 pm »
what does "cook brats" mean?

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #47 on: April 15, 2008, 11:08:31 pm »
Firewood - cook bratwurst sausages with em ;D.
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline OldBow

• I'm just an old retired biology teacher.
« Reply #48 on: April 15, 2008, 11:33:59 pm »

I really appreciate the nice comments adb3112 (name?) :),  means a lot! :)

adb3112 is Adam Beck of  Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, CANADA
 His Bamboo backed Ipe is February's Laminant Bow of the Month
http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,5272.0.html
When you're retired, every day is Saturday

Offline ahawi stick

« Reply #49 on: April 16, 2008, 12:49:29 am »
Cant say anything that hasn't already been said , I like everything about her , especially the curves and dye job. The black snake really sets it off, great job! 8)
" The Right To Keep And Bear Arms"..Bows, Arrows, Spears, Celts...  Kevin , North Carolina

Rich Saffold

« Reply #50 on: April 16, 2008, 04:00:43 am »
Greg, Excellent! 8). I get inspired when I see Gordon's bows too ;)

Rich

Offline medicinewheel

« Reply #51 on: April 16, 2008, 06:50:33 am »

WOW greg! that bow is one real beauty!!! did you dye the snakeskins (maybe someone asked already...don't have time to check all the way through right now!)
frank
Frank from Germany...

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #52 on: April 16, 2008, 09:36:07 am »
Thanks Ron! I got the first part of our project finished...think you'll like it! ;) Forgot to carry the second part of our project home with me...I'll get it this weekend and should finish it Sunday.

Cowboy's right, I like eating brats...but not enough to fuel the fire with my bow! ;D

Recurve Shooter, I'm sure you make a great bow...you're on the best website there is for getting help on bow making. I continually am looking and asking questions.

Thanks OldBow...thank you Adam from way up north!

I appreciate it ahawi stick, I like the color scheme although I can't take credit for being the first...Hillbilly I know has done the same colors before, and probably Gordon and others.

Thanks Rich! Gordon's bows are as artistic as they are good shooting bows.

I appreciate it Frank, really liked your Copper head bow last month! The snakes were roadkill blacksnakes obviously with blackskins. I had to touch up the skins some due to damage and even had to patch in a small piece that was missing. I would have gone full length with the skins on the limbs if the skins would have allowed it. If you look at Pappy's "Life is Good" thread from last weekend, you'll see another black snake I found just outside the gate of the club Friday afternoon when I was driving over. See how damaged that one is? It took me all last summer to come up with the two snakes I used on this bow. :)
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #53 on: April 16, 2008, 12:32:18 pm »
I like the color scheme although I can't take credit for being the first...Hillbilly I know has done the same colors before, and probably Gordon and others.

Greg, I didn't come up with it either, I copied it from somebody else that posted one several years ago. Yours is one of the best ones I've seen, though-I love that deep red color you got. Did you use Fiebings leather dye? What color? Oxblood?
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

DCM

« Reply #54 on: April 16, 2008, 01:02:48 pm »
Very nicely done Greg.

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #55 on: April 16, 2008, 02:35:40 pm »
Greg, I didn't come up with it either, I copied it from somebody else that posted one several years ago. Yours is one of the best ones I've seen, though-I love that deep red color you got. Did you use Fiebings leather dye? What color? Oxblood?

Hillbilly...Fiebings, and yes I used oxblood. :)

Thank you DCM!
Greg

bowkill

« Reply #56 on: April 16, 2008, 04:54:19 pm »
Could you please explain how you recurved the limbs, or sombody post a link to a post that shows how that is done?

Slivershooter

« Reply #57 on: April 17, 2008, 01:01:56 am »
GregB, Excellent bow!!

Bowkill, here is the link to Gordons build along that inspired GregB's bow.  If I remember correctly, Gordon used steam to bend his bow.

Walt Francis

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #58 on: April 17, 2008, 10:08:28 am »
Thanks Slivershooter!

Bowkill, with seasoned wood we usually use dry heat for bending. This bow was tillered out to around 22-23" or so without the tips being recurved...the bow had been previously straightened with a couple of inches of reflex added. I had made a form from wood with the curvature for recurving tips one tip at a time. I used this form clamping the bows limb to the form while leaving the tips free to be heated with a heat gun and slowing bent to shape using the trigger style quick adjust clamps. The wood is allowed to cool and given a couple of days before going back to the tillering tree to complete the tillering. :)
Greg

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #59 on: April 21, 2008, 08:03:09 am »
Got to see this one perform this weekend and man Greg is shooting it good,to bad he is
giving it to his brother,He may want to hold on to it until the Classic is over.  :)
   Pappy

[attachment deleted by admin]
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good