Author Topic: Osage ELB build along  (Read 4152 times)

Offline Mo_coon-catcher

Osage ELB build along
« on: August 09, 2019, 07:23:10 pm »
Since I’m already doing a buildalong for a guy I train with. I figured I’d might as well share on here with you guys as well. I’m making an English longbow from a narrow stave I recently picked up. I got it fully roughed out in a couple hours but didn’t get any pictures of it fully roughed out before I quit for te day. My goal for the build is to hit 50# at 27”. We’ll see if it’ll do it as it’s a rather small stick at this point at only 3/4” wide.

To start with I clipped an end off with the saw to see what I had to work with as the stave was solid gray. The rings are rather small but a good ratio and the sapwood was still intact. But there were quite a few drying cracks and found some ring separation as I went down. I got rid of those and it seems I still have enough to get it bending. It didn’t take long to get roughed out at this point. I put a few reference marks at the center, 2” each way for the handle, and another 4” past that as additional no taper area. I put another mark at the midpoint between there and the tip.
For the widths I went with 3/4” wide for the center 12” area. Tapering to 5/8” at the midlimb mark, then 3/8” at the tips.
That took about 10 min to get shaped. Then I got the thickness marks. I carried the reference marks from the back around to the sides. The handle i made 3/4” thick, to essentially be a square. Same with te tips, I made them 3/8” thick to be squares as well. At every mark between these points I subtracted 1/8” from the width for the thickness. Essentially to help the limbs track properly.
I stopped once I got the thickness cut out. Which took about 25-30 min.

Next step tomorrow will be to round over all the corners with the belly getting a much deeper rounding. Then cut some nocks. 

Offline Mo_coon-catcher

Re: Osage ELB build along
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2019, 07:25:51 pm »
A few more.
And I forgot to mention. When chasing a ring, the growth rings started to dip in, essentially making it look like I had flipped the stave upside down to flatten a back. Since the rings are so thin and the ends don’t bend anyways, I left the last 4” flat so I can round them over easier later in the process.

Thanks for looking,
Kyle

Offline Badger

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2019, 07:36:02 pm »
   3/4" will take the weight OK, I think your biggest challenge will be to keep it from bending sideways at brace.

Offline Mo_coon-catcher

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2019, 07:47:21 pm »
That’s my thoughts. I think most of the work tillering will be getting it bending in a lime straight back without losing all its weight. It may end up almost round like the last one I did. I think I’ll heat treat this one to buy a little wiggle room.

Kyle

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2019, 01:31:55 am »
   3/4" will take the weight OK, I think your biggest challenge will be to keep it from bending sideways at brace.
+1
I'd have gone for at least 1" (prob 1 1/4 " ) to start with to give you some chance of stability.
Even my 50# ELB flight bow is 0.9" and that's as narrow as I dare push it  :o ... mind Osage is more rigid that the Yew...
Good luck.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Mo_coon-catcher

« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2019, 06:46:38 am »
I’ve done one before that was only 3/4” wide and i was able to get it stable. But just like this one, that’s all the width that was there to work with. I was hoping for an inch, but oh well.

But here it is all roughed out into a square. So the next step is to round it over. On the back I did a normal radius so there is a flat back to help guid the limb movement. The belly gets a much deeper rounding. I start by rasping in a bevel on each side of the belly. I went about 1/3 the width and 1/3 the depth of the limb.

Offline Mo_coon-catcher

« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2019, 06:49:05 am »
Once the bevels are rasped in I use the finer side of the ferriers rasp to round it over. And use my fine file to clean up the marks.

Offline Mo_coon-catcher

« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2019, 06:57:54 am »
After I rounded everything I just did a quick look at the floor tiller. Which wasn’t bad but was a bit soft midlimb on one side. But close enough I didn’t touch it for the time being. There is a little sideways bend I wanted to take care of first that was making one tip sit about 1/2” off the side of the handle. You can see in the pictures the points I decided to place the clamp and shin to get the limb bent where I want it. If I don’t mark where I want to place then. I may forget exactly where I intended them by the time it get the stave to the form. Since the tip was off the side of the form I decided to clamp a small board to indicate where the tip started so I can see how far it’s moved and sheer it ended up. I did run into one problem while bending it that turned out to not be much of an issue. As soon as I got the spot I wanted bent it decided to roll on me. But since it was already off the form I looked and the tips were inline so I left it alone. I didn’t take any pictures of that part yet. So with just a quick heat up and tweak over it stayed put, a lot better than I expected.

Kyle

Offline gifford

« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2019, 01:31:37 pm »
Looking good, Kyle.

Offline hoosierf

« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2019, 05:58:45 pm »
Looks pretty cool to me. I gotta try an ELB one day.

Offline silent sniper

« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2019, 07:42:53 pm »
Looks great so far!
-Taylor

Offline Mo_coon-catcher

« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2019, 04:52:03 pm »
Well.
It’s not going to be anywhere near hitting weight by the time I evened it up to a weak spot I had in the outer third. Just a little bit of extra material removed from there on these tiny little bows and weight dropped drastically. But I figured I’d finish this one out. So once I got everything evened out there was a little side bend. To correct this you remove wood from the side you want the tip to go. So where I have the pencil. And you remove from the corner so you don’t drop weight in the spot.
I essentially just pulled it straight back to 27” as it was so light with no lethal spots in the tiller. And it pulled just over 20#. Great.
So I heat treated and bent in a couple inches of reflex to see what I could gain. While pulling out the deflex spot I bent it a little past where I intended it to end up expecting some spring back. Nope, it held everything I heated into it. So now it has a reflexes kink. Oh well, carry on. Once it cooled a couple hours I put it back on the tree. Like before, no worrysome spots in te tiller, so straight back to 27”. And it pulled about 25#. Not much but it was something gained. So I shortened the limbs by 1.5” and ended up with a bit under 30#.
No where near where I was content with ending up. So I decided to clip an extra 2” off each side and it’s a youth/women’s bow now. I had to tweak the tiller a bit but now it’s pulling 30# at 24” and still needs sanded. It is 58” long now after all the trimming.  There was a side kink in one limb due to having removed the section that wiggled back in line. So I left it on the form after heating it over.

I’ll shoot it a bit then finish it out. Think I should do little horn nocks or do overlays?

Kyle

Offline Mo_coon-catcher

« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2019, 04:53:02 pm »
Some more

Offline Mo_coon-catcher

« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2019, 04:53:51 pm »
And more

Offline Mo_coon-catcher

« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2019, 02:20:10 pm »
Here’s where I finished out with it. Pulling 25# at 25”. I’d went a bit thin in the outer of one limb and lost all potential weight I could’ve got out of it. But it is a decent little shooter and feels absolutely tiny in the hand. I ended up going with vine maple for the overlays to get a nice white contrast as the Osage ages. Just have to sand and apply finish at this point in te build.

Kyle