Author Topic: Set over time  (Read 2541 times)

Offline Eric Krewson

Re: Set over time
« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2019, 07:24:07 am »
Wow! lots of weird answers.  Almost all bows take set over time and often it is the bottom limb that starts the process, 1/4" is the same as "0" in my book. Back when I made equal length limbs a weak lower limb was common after a good bit of shooting I have piked a few when the weakness negatively affected the tiller.

The only bows I have made that didn't take set over time were reflexed bamboo backed bows or bows I made from osage that was that special dense, microscopic early ring stuff we run across every now.

I have really slowed down on my bow making but found my latest heat toasted limbs seldom take any set.

Offline Woodely

« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2019, 02:00:09 pm »
I think to comes from the split finger draw.

Jawge
I would say that shooting 3 under will cause more set.   I just noticed this recently,  although another person was shooting the bow,  maybe they accidently shot it 3 under or held draw for to long of a period.   The set is even across the full length, no hinging or anything drastic like that.

Not exercising it enough during tillering.  I spent countless times exercising this bow.  It  only took 1/4" of set.  After  3000 shots I could pike it maybe.  It's 67" NTN take it down to 68" and re-tiller it.   I hate to pike, its a good shooter,  sometime piking could cause some unforeseen disasters like breakage.

Exercising it DIFFERNTLY on the tree...….
Why do people only pick the bit they disagree with.....:)
How exactly are you going to pike it and add an inch of length at the same time?
3 under will again strain the bow slightly differently it will NOT make the bow take more set though....
Never let anybody else shoot your bow if you don't want the above to happen.

"add an inch of length at the same time?"  what the Malarkey ya talking about, adding an inch....and yes shooting 3 under does place more stress on the bottom limb and can make it take more set..!

"Exercising it DIFFERNTLY on the tree...…."  in what way, like I said the bow was exercised properly and lots of it...…...
« Last Edit: August 06, 2019, 02:05:18 pm by Woodely »
"Doing bad work is an exercise in futility, but honestly making mistakes is trying your best."

Offline Woodely

« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2019, 02:02:37 pm »
Wow! lots of weird answers.  Almost all bows take set over time and often it is the bottom limb that starts the process, 1/4" is the same as "0" in my book. Back when I made equal length limbs a weak lower limb was common after a good bit of shooting I have piked a few when the weakness negatively affected the tiller.

The only bows I have made that didn't take set over time were reflexed bamboo backed bows or bows I made from osage that was that special dense, microscopic early ring stuff we run across every now.

I have really slowed down on my bow making but found my latest heat toasted limbs seldom take any set.
What I meant to say that the bow took a total set of 1/4" after it was finished.  Now the lower limb has taken an additional 1/4" .. But I guess after 3000 shots I should not complain.  Thanks for your insight Eric.
"Doing bad work is an exercise in futility, but honestly making mistakes is trying your best."

Offline DC

« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2019, 02:12:21 pm »
It's 67" NTN take it down to 68" and re-tiller it. 
This is what Bowanarra was referring to. The math doesn't work ;)

Offline Badger

« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2019, 04:31:42 pm »
I would actually consider the Opie's question more of a sneak bragged in a real question 1/2 inch set in a bowl with 3000 shots is fantastic

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #20 on: August 06, 2019, 06:05:56 pm »
Wow :)