Author Topic: Pyramid  (Read 2403 times)

Offline Woodely

Re: Pyramid
« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2019, 10:56:27 pm »
"As none of my several dozen bows are ever broken in"   ...........that's why I never consider any bow I build a success until its been shot at least 80-120 times.   If not then its just wall art.  As far as performance goes I just hope the bow has good cast and power at all draw lengths without any hand shock.  Pyramid bows are not my preference,  just don't like the looks of them nor do I like bendy handle bows.
"Doing bad work is an exercise in futility, but honestly making mistakes is trying your best."

Offline scp

Re: Pyramid
« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2019, 07:40:35 pm »
As my main exercise is making the bow not shooting it, I just call a bow "done" as soon as I shoot it a dozen times at my intended draw length and weight. I just make "you finish" bow blanks, in that sense. I have no interest in finishing the bow in the sense of using stain and varnish or whatever. But I do have a dozen or so bows that has been shot at least one hundred times over almost a decade. Unfortunately the earliest bows are actually shooting much better than the later ones, probably because I spend much more time on them, I guess. If a bow shoots about 160, or even just 150 fps, I would call it a successful bow. About half of what I have made do that regularly. On the other hand, I do have a couple of dozen broken or abandoned staves. I did recurve the tips of a dozen of so bows, but I have no idea how much benefit is from recurving in achieving that 150 fps. So far as I know and read, what matters is the side profile of the bows. If your tips are a couple of inches ahead of your handle, no matter how you managed to get there, you have done a decent job and just keep on tillering until it shoots 150 fps or so. If not, you have a bad stave. ;) As for pyramid, it always helps to start with a stave as wide as you can get. Within reason, of course; say 3 inch wide will be good, as you can always narrow it. Good luck.