Author Topic: Efficiency of Sinew Backed vs Self Bows  (Read 9623 times)

Offline PatM

Re: Efficiency of Sinew Backed vs Self Bows
« Reply #30 on: September 05, 2019, 04:00:20 pm »
  Good shots.  What are the arrow weights for these classes?   Is it a set weight regardless of bow weight?
« Last Edit: September 05, 2019, 07:14:46 pm by PatM »

Offline Selfbowman

« Reply #31 on: September 05, 2019, 05:18:05 pm »
Pat the arrows had to way at least 450 grains. I think the 90# selfbow arrows would go 575 gr. To spine properly for the bow. The 70# selfbow arrows was probably closer to 450-470 gr. My 50# selfbow was close to 460 gr. Also the 70 # bow was heavy in mass compared to Chucks sinew backed bows. Oh well. Arvin
Well I'll say!!  Osage is king!!

Offline Bob Barnes

« Reply #32 on: September 05, 2019, 11:12:16 pm »
congrats Arvin!
As far as the sinew backed vs selfbows...we decided at our local shoot to allow the backed bows in our selfbow class as long as the backing is 1/4 or less of the total limb thickness.  I have made and shot both and don't see the sinew as a big advantage, but more as protection.  My pre-profiled and thinned bamboo backing on an osage belly might be a different story, or at least it seems that way to me.
Seems like common sense isn't very common any more...

Offline DC

« Reply #33 on: September 06, 2019, 10:30:49 am »
congrats Arvin!
As far as the sinew backed vs selfbows...we decided at our local shoot to allow the backed bows in our selfbow class as long as the backing is 1/4 or less of the total limb thickness.  I have made and shot both and don't see the sinew as a big advantage, but more as protection.  My pre-profiled and thinned bamboo backing on an osage belly might be a different story, or at least it seems that way to me.
This caught my attention. It doesn't seem right to me at all. This is for flight shooting, right?

Offline Badger

« Reply #34 on: September 06, 2019, 10:36:03 am »
congrats Arvin!
This caught my attention. It doesn't seem right to me at all. This is for flight shooting, right?

No DC this is target shooting

Offline Bob Barnes

« Reply #35 on: September 06, 2019, 11:02:05 am »
congrats Arvin!

I mostly hunt with my bows, but a few times a year I 3D shoot with them and a couple of times a year I flight shoot with them... with my personal bows, I get more distance with the bamboo backed bows than I do with the selfbows or the sinew backed bows.  This is just me and my personal bows.  If I need a bow to grab, string, have morning coffee, and leave strung all day in most any weather...and never worry about drawing on a deer, I carry my bamboo backed bow osage bow.  It always shoots the same and doesn't take time to return to the original unstrung profile... in heat and humidity, my sinew/snake backed bows might take an hour to return to the original unstrung profile...just my personal observations.  My hunting BBO has been shot thousands of times but over a hundred people and still shot 211 yards at MoJam with a 10gpp arrow...
Seems like common sense isn't very common any more...

Offline DC

« Reply #36 on: September 06, 2019, 01:39:44 pm »
congrats Arvin!

No DC this is target shooting

Ahh, now it's OK ;D ;D ;D

Offline loefflerchuck

• www.heartwoodbows.com
« Reply #37 on: September 08, 2019, 04:58:56 pm »
I used a sinew backed Rocky Mt juniper sapwood bow this year and it holds the current record for 70# simple composite flight at about 343 yards( official measurement might be a couple yards off ) and 70# simple composite broadhead at about 262 yards. It's 59.5" ntn and draws 67# @ 28". Modified Ishi design. recessed handle, 2 3/8" wide above the handle tapering to 1/2" below the nock. Backed with 3.5 layers of elk sinew it holds a 5 3/4" unstring reflex. The bow is light weighing a total of 17 oz. Juniper is no match for bow woods like osage as a self bow, but Juniper and incense cedar are in my opinion the best compression woods out there. So with a sinew backing juniper goes from a brittle 2nd rate bow wood to a top bow wood/sinew combo. In my opinion juniper and incense cedar wood make the best examples of what sinew can do.

Offline Selfbowman

« Reply #38 on: September 08, 2019, 05:15:14 pm »
Great shots Chuck . Glad you posted the distances. And yes the mass on the seventy pound Osage was almost twice that .  Arvin
Well I'll say!!  Osage is king!!