Author Topic: chasing my first ring ,now with a pic( updated )  (Read 9658 times)

Offline sailordad

chasing my first ring ,now with a pic( updated )
« on: April 12, 2008, 10:41:05 pm »
            hi everyone,

well i broke down and purchased on OSAGE stave from another member of the PA community. he was more than generous about it too. not only did he send a stave that was chased to one ring that he said could be used as the back of the bow,but he also included an OSAGE sliver with the sapwood on (to be made into a kids bow) and some cane shafts for arrows(way to cool of him) so i have to send a huge thank you to RIDGERUNNER.

now i decided to start with the 0SAGE sliver and have my first try at chasing a ring. i have almost all of the sapwood off and don't know rich ring i should try to chase it to.
do i want a dark colored ring or a lite colored ring for the back of the bow? any advise would be helpful as i would really like this to work out.
thanks in advace to everyone.

peace,
                                                                                         tim

so im thinking that i should use the first thick,dark ring from the back,this sliver is only 1 inch wide and almost 1 3/4 thick and 57 inches  tip to tip.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2008, 12:50:07 am by sailordad »
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
Re: chasing my first ring
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2008, 10:51:46 pm »
Tim, you want a darker heartwood ring. I try to choose the thickest one. How thick are the heartwood rings you have? Check my site for buildalongs.  Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Lost Arra

Re: chasing my first ring ,now with a pic
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2008, 01:14:46 am »
Light rings=spring (early) growth= weak  You will know it when you remove it.

Dark rings=late growth = strong

That third ring down would be fine.
I'm thinking that "sliver" will make a hefty kids bow.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2008, 01:20:40 am »
I'd say the third one down too and it looks like you better have a big strong kid! That piece, if long enough, will make a 60# bow...easily! ;)     Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2008, 03:22:30 am »
The third at least...I would go for that Big Fifth One down ....If that would leave you enough Meat for the Bow weight that you would want....
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2008, 11:38:30 am »
I would use the second ring down for the back of the first bow out of that stave and carefully split it about 2" down for the second bow. A 4" deep stave will easily make two bows. Never waste good osage!

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2008, 11:44:45 am »
If it was me, I'd chase the second one I marked. There is enough wood on there for two bows, but at 1 3/4" thick, you'd be taking a chance trying to piggyback it if you haven't done it before.Since this is your first time chasing a ring, you could chase the first marked one for practice before you go for the better one.That's a good looking stave, should make a good bow.

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: April 13, 2008, 11:53:22 am by Hillbilly »
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline sailordad

« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2008, 12:00:01 pm »
thanks everyone.

i had thought about trying to piggyback it, but then talked myself out of it due to lack of experience.

now keep in mind this is just a "sliver" of OSAGE.

the real stave is still sitting on the shelf acclimating to my climate here in MN..
this one is 2x2x72 when i begin to work it i will post pics and ask lots of questions,maybe someone could talk me thru piggybacking it if possible  ;D. but that wont be for a few weeks yet,maybe after buzzard season which is the end of may.

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2008, 12:04:12 pm »
As Pat says: "It don't take much osage to make a bow." You could probably get a hundred-pounder out of that "sliver."
Smoky Mountains, NC

Offline sailordad

« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2008, 12:10:41 pm »
well then if thats the case i sure would like to get two bows out of the full size stave then.
 i don't have trees to use for staves and also don't have lots of  $$$ either to keep buying, so if it is possible to get two out of a stave thats 2x2x72 that would be great.

later today i'll get the wife's camera and take some pics of the real stave and see if you all think that would be possible with out wrecking it.

peace,
                                                                                               tim

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2008, 12:51:56 pm »
Occasionally, I go back and look at ends I cut off of staves I got when first started working with osage. I wish I had most of them back to try again. ::)      Take pics of this "sliver"; both ends, the back, the belly and an overall view of the stave and post them here. Concentrate on this stave for now. Make the best bow you can with it and learn more about working osage and bow making in general. From what we can see about this "sliver" you should be able to make a bow of any practical weight and not just a kids bow...unless that is what you want to make.
   Leave the other "real" stave on the shelf and out of sight, out of mind for now and concentrate on this one. Patience and concentration are very important in wood bow building. If you are thinking about the "real" stave while working on this "splinter" you will come up with a "kids" bow whether you want it or not. Make the best bow from this stave. After it is completed, no matter what the outcome, you will have a better knowledge of working osage and bow building than you do now. You will be better qualified to make decisions about the other.
   I know how you feel not having access to osage or having to buy osage at the retail rate. But once you have made a few osage bows you will meet others that have access to osage and that are willing to share or trade with you. You will be surprised how much is out there and available to you reasonably. It might not be primo staves with no knots, twists or hoop-tee-dos but "bad" osage is still better than most other woods in being able to make something from nothing.
  Osage is my favorite bow wood but almost any wood will make a decent(or excellent) bow if design parameters are followed for that wood. I have just completed 2 bows using "second string" bow woods that I will put against any of my osage bows. Both white woods(HHB and guava) but neither should have to stand down to osage as far as performance goes.
   You have access to some of the best wood bow builders in this country, probably in the world and most will give you the help and advice you need to become a successful wood bowyer. You, on the other hand have to do it so try not to muddy the waters with thoughts of the other "real" stave. Concentrate on this one, take your time, ask questions, take pics to help us help you and you will come away a better wood bowyer for it.     Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2008, 01:14:58 pm »
If it was me, I'd chase the second one I marked. There is enough wood on there for two bows, but at 1 3/4" thick, you'd be taking a chance trying to piggyback it if you haven't done it before.Since this is your first time chasing a ring, you could chase the first marked one for practice before you go for the better one.That's a good looking stave, should make a good bow.

I am exactly with Hillbilly on this one....but if you want to go double or nothing this Stave....it's your Gamle....this aint Vegas.....but your rolling the Dice here...Do You Feel Lucky......Do Ya???? >:D
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline sailordad

« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2008, 01:24:27 pm »
nope, i have never been a gambler
i have never felt lucky enough to gamble. i like sure things instead. ;)

so i think i will just leave it as is,and maybe the next time i'll try and gamble with it, but i wouldnt bet on it. ;D

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2008, 01:27:34 pm »
nope, i have never been a gambler
i have never felt lucky enough to gamble. i like sure things instead. ;)

so i think i will just leave it as is,and maybe the next time i'll try and gamble with it, but i wouldnt bet on it. ;D

Now yer Talkin.....If you lived Here...you would do the Same...I can look for Miles....and not see a Tree here...unless I am in Town...but then They frown on you cutting down Neighbors trees!!!
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2008, 01:27:46 pm »
A bow in the hand is worth two in the firepit.  ;D
Smoky Mountains, NC