Author Topic: Bamboo backed Honduran rosewood  (Read 2085 times)

Offline TimothyR

• PM110782
Bamboo backed Honduran rosewood
« on: July 22, 2019, 06:27:55 am »
Started a new R/D bow yesterday. I'm testing the waters so to speak with this weldwood plastic resin. Hopefully it works out.
Freedom dies one compromise at a time. III%

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Bamboo backed Honduran rosewood
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2019, 06:34:05 am »
I've used Weldwood Plastic Resin for years and on many backed bows, tri-lams, risers and overlays and never had a failure. You shouldn't have any problems.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Bayou Ben

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2019, 06:35:45 am »
I've used it on a couple tri lams and it works fine  :OK

Offline TimothyR

• PM110782
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2019, 05:34:57 pm »
That is great news. It is definitely more affordable than unibond 800.
And it is redly available at my work. Ow long did y'all leave them on the form? And does it. Red air to cure out? It's super hot here in Oklahoma and I have it in a room that gets hotter. Just wondering how long to leave it. I was goi g ro leave it for 4-5 days

bownarra

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2019, 11:09:59 pm »
24 hours is plenty.
Good luck with the Honduras rosewood, its pretty soft and not great in compression.

Offline Hamish

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2019, 05:11:04 pm »
Bownarra, What standard are you using for "soft" in regard to Honduras rosewood?
I haven't heard any true rosewood termed as soft, unless you compared it with a piece of lignum vitae.
 Admittedly I haven't used any for a bow, but I know East Indian RW has been used for elb bellies, as has cocobolo.

Offline TimothyR

• PM110782
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2019, 08:21:38 pm »
Honduran rosewood makes a nice shooting bow. I had 2 Honduran rosewood boards, I gave one to my friend Jerry Maye, the man that taught me how to build this style of bow, of course I'm still learning this style. It was thin and still made a 40+ pound draw. It has a smooth draw and quick release. It was a joy to shoot. I hope this one turns out as good as his. I took it off the form today and it is holding it shape. Hopefully it will keep it during tillering. I will post pics when I find the correct size for the post.

bownarra

« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2019, 11:38:16 pm »
Bownarra, What standard are you using for "soft" in regard to Honduras rosewood?
I haven't heard any true rosewood termed as soft, unless you compared it with a piece of lignum vitae.
 Admittedly I haven't used any for a bow, but I know East Indian RW has been used for elb bellies, as has cocobolo.

Feel :) It acts 'soft' as a belly.
I've also used lignum for elb bellies and it isn't all that. Ipe 'works' much harder than Lignum. It is not all about the figures.
I use Honduras Rosewood as cores only because it acts soft for its density. I'm sure a lot of woods have been used for elb bellies but that doesn't really mean much....

Offline Hamish

« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2019, 12:15:40 am »
Yes there are some woods, usually tropicals that have high stats on paper but don't perform as well in the real world. They can be weak in tension, or prone to chrysalling(or both). 

The ELB belly is about the most stressful design for a bow  that you can use. The majority of woods won't work, or work well with that design. If a timber will work for that design then I respectfully disagree with you that it doesn't really mean much.

Offline TimothyR

• PM110782
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2019, 06:24:22 am »
More pics

Offline Badger

« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2019, 01:35:45 pm »
  I have used honduran rosewood in the same design you are building. I had a huge stack of it from a flooring company scrap pile. I had some chrysaling issues with it but not horrible. Most woods that chysal also tend to be fast and low in hysterisis. Just be careful not to let any parts of the limb bend too much and you should be ok.