Author Topic: Best axe/hatchet for bowyer's work.  (Read 11754 times)

Offline shamus

Best axe/hatchet for bowyer's work.
« on: April 12, 2008, 10:24:45 pm »
Looking at my woodworking catalogs, I see lots of different hatchets and axes. I was wondering: which one is the most ideal for bowyer's work?

Offline Kegan

Re: Best axe/hatchet for bowyer's work.
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2008, 10:31:14 pm »
Estwing works pretty well. Pricey though.

But it seems that just a plain old ax head, a couple pounds, held in hand works better. Removes the wood with ease, but slowly none the less.

Offline huntertrapper

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2008, 10:41:28 pm »
yeah any hatchet will work. find em at flea markets or yard sales. for cheap. need atleast a decent edge to get somewhere.
Modern Day Tramp

Offline Coo-wah-chobee

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2008, 10:47:37 pm »
Bearded hachets work better than regular ones.....................bob

Offline sailordad

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2008, 10:55:05 pm »
o.k.
so maybe im ignorant.

whats a bearded hachet?

tim
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline Coo-wah-chobee

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2008, 10:57:11 pm »
No.............yer not ignorant heres one. You can get hand up close fer controlled strokes wsithout "fearin' " fer your fingers...........bob

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline richpierce

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2008, 02:02:50 am »
I use a vintage broadaxe but I like that bearded one.

Offline 1/2primitive

• Bible believing Christian
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2008, 11:31:55 am »
I've also heard of guys using the one-side beveled hatchets/axes or whatever you call 'em with good results.
    Sean
Dallas/Fort Worth Tx.

Offline sailordad

« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2008, 11:37:44 am »
so if one was to choose a hatchet,and nothing more,to make a bow with.
what would be a better choice, the bearded one or just a regular old camp style hatchet?

Ive been thinking of getting one to try and make a bow for the hatchet bow contest, and what should one expect to pay and where to get a decent one at.
keep in mind I'm just a poor working mechanic.
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline huntertrapper

« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2008, 11:46:05 am »
by the looks of a bearded one i say that one. cause you can get your hand to work the blade a bit like a knife. a regular one will hit sometimes on the flat side and not cut at all. so id say bearded, the others might say different though.
Modern Day Tramp

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2008, 11:57:46 am »
I've used a regular old hatchet to chop out several, but I've got an old beveled broadhatchet that I like better as it doesn't tend to dig in as much. I've never tried a bearded hatchet, but that one looks pretty slick-bet it would work great.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline Coo-wah-chobee

« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2008, 03:13:30 pm »
 Tim...........The hatchet ya see I made bearded. It was an ole roofin' hachet. Look at hachet ya can see how ta do it. Now the steel thats another story, better will keep a sharp edge longer but this one works fine had fer a lotta years, just need ta sharpn more often. Betcha ya can get a hachet at the H.D. fer less than $20 and modify it ta a bearded ifn yer a "mechanicccc !" ;) ;D.......bob

Offline markinengland

« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2008, 04:21:20 pm »
I like the carving axe. I find the semi-bearded head allows you to get your hand close behind it, and the curved profile alows you to take out shaving instead of digging in.
Here is a picture of the granfors carving axe and the carpenters axe side by side.

I find the curved edge much easier personally than the straight edge. Maybe the straight edge of the carpenters axe would be better for straight lines in straight wood, but for carving through grain and not lifting splinters I think a thin finely bevelled curved edge gets my vote.
Most cheaper axes would need a fair amount of file work to get the bevel of the blade finer. The steel will be quite good, just the edge shape would need alteration.
Here is a bow I made with my carving axe. using it I could understand some of the old bows types found. When chopping out a bow and tillering it with a tool like an axe some limb shapes and profiles just come naturally.

Mark in England

Offline snedeker

« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2008, 03:31:38 pm »
Those are some fine pieces Mark.  I have really become a fan of my beveled hewing or broan hatchet, but I only use it for reducing staves, not detailing.  I just bought a nice old little Collins hatchet head with a nice thin bit - mainly because I have a cool osage piece to use for the handle.  How's that?  Matching the head to the handle? Very snedekerlike.

Dave

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2008, 03:45:50 pm »
I use a bevelled hatched with a shock-absorbing handle.  Purchased it from the hardware store.....took it home and bevelled the edge with a grinder.

I had a very pricey bearded hatchet but it felt clumsy...and the wood handle never felt comfortable.  I had to "force" it to make accurate cuts.  Maybe it was too light?  The cheap hatchet works just as well (or better).
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr