Author Topic: montana bow wood  (Read 6854 times)

Offline Blacktail

montana bow wood
« on: April 15, 2008, 12:25:07 am »
well i used to live in montana hamilton and my wife and i are just thinking about moving back ;D.... to missoula or hamilton...but i was kind of wondering what kind of bow wood is there..all i remeber seeing is cotton woods and pines.does any one have any info on this....IF we do move.i was thinking about take a few sticks of vm with me...i dont know if that grows there.any info would be great.thanks john

Offline stiknstring

Re: montana bow wood
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2008, 12:32:41 am »
Dont know if we have vine maple anywhere but I know we have a few elms and ash up here.  Some people have honey and black locusts that they have planted up here too

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2008, 02:28:11 am »
OldBow lives in Boseman and finds all sorts of bow wood...although he is apt to ride his bike 5 miles into a wilderness area for a stick of yew. ;D He also uses serviceberry and choke cherry.    Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline hawkbow

• High Country Archer
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2008, 11:35:15 am »
Blacktail. I grew up in Hamilton, there are several bowwoods available, serviceberry, ash, juniper just to name a few. I havan't been back there for years. But my uncle Dancing Bear says the place has filled up with people and the hunting is not what it used to be.. Hawk..A/ho
IT IS BETTER TO LOSE WITH HONOR. THAN TO WIN THROUGH DECEPTION...

Mike "Hawk" Huston

Offline stiknstring

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2008, 12:20:02 pm »
Shoot I didnt even think of juniper....lol.
I have always been curious what service berry's look

Offline adb

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2008, 12:27:53 pm »
Oh well... if you're like some of the rest of us, you have to purchase your bow wood. Beats not making any bows!

Offline stiknstring

« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2008, 01:14:36 pm »
Oh don't get me wrong...A and H turf and hardwoods gets a lot of my business as does home depot and lowes.  I have not cut a tree to make a bow yet but do have my eyes on an ash right now.

Offline OldBow

• I'm just an old retired biology teacher.
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2008, 01:57:59 pm »
I live in Missoula.
I have made satisfactory bows out of serviceberry, chokecherry, mountain maple, hawthorn and yew - all of which are common between Hamilton and Missoula.  And all of those canyons headed into the Selway Wilderness have lots of yew which is my favorite.
When you're retired, every day is Saturday

Offline OldBow

• I'm just an old retired biology teacher.
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2008, 02:00:31 pm »
Blacktail. I grew up in Hamilton, there are several bowwoods available, serviceberry, ash, juniper just to name a few. I havan't been back there for years. But my uncle Dancing Bear says the place has filled up with people and the hunting is not what it used to be.. Hawk..A/ho
Our local juniper is too soft.
The valley's are indeed filling up with people like every where else.
But, if you get off your machines and hike into the high country, elk hunting is fantastic.
When you're retired, every day is Saturday

Offline Blacktail

« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2008, 11:04:08 pm »
thanks guys for the info its great......I THOUGHT oldbow lived in missoula....welll we are trying to see if we can move to missoula right now.....if we move out i will have to bring some vine maple....maybe make a swap with oldbow on learning some tillering tricks. and about the hunting.the only thing i want is one old doe...any how thanks so much for your time.john