Main Discussion Area > Flight Bows

Del Has a Bit of a Moan ... Update!

<< < (2/4) > >>

Del the cat:
Update... he won the flight round with the second string bow "Smooth-Hound", didn't fare so well with the heavier war arrows tho.

I've composed a very "British" ::) E-mail to the organiser, which I thought I'd share (with name and organisation deleted) to see if you feel it is reasonable, or at least funny ;D. (I realise that measuring draw length to back isn't "correct" for formal flight shooting with normal ::) organisations)

Dear *****,
I was somewhat concerned to hear of the breakage of one of my bows on the test rig at the Mary Rose shoot, and wondered if I could offer some ideas which may avoid the embarrassment of it happening again?

First I’d like to point out that in your **** definitions of a longbow there is no mention of a minimum draw length and also the shortest full length arrow recovered from the Mary Rose arrow is just 26.26” long.

In measuring the draw weight there are several things to consider.
1. The bow needs to be supported against a slightly curved, lightly padded surface with well rounded edges. This is essential for English Longbows which flex through the grip and will pivot slightly as the bow is drawn.
It is also especially important for Yew bows as the wood is comparatively soft.

2. Draw length for (ELB) should be measured from the back of the bow, not the belly.

3. The bowyer's draw length should be respected and it is reasonable precaution to weigh at 1” below that length to allow for the hold time whilst poundage is read. The hold time can be seriously detrimental to a flight bow.
It is simple enough to normalise all weights to a common draw length.
E.G. To normalise 90 pounds at 26” to say 28”, just divide 90 by 26 and multiply by 28. Whilst this is not exact, it is well within the experimental error and hysteresis of a wooden bow.
So 90 @26 interpolates to 97 at 28” (rounded to the nearest whole number)

The bow which exploded had been taken to 90# @ 27" on the tiller to maintain its full freshness for the shoot and although the arrows to be shot were indeed longer than 28”, I feel the risk of failure was for me as the bowyer and John as the archer. It shouldn’t have fallen on your shoulders.

I trust these comments will be received in the spirit they are offered.

Hawkdancer:
Sounds rather polite to me!  But I have been known to be somewhat direct on occasion!
Hawkdancer

Del the cat:

--- Quote from: Hawkdancer on July 07, 2019, 10:40:38 am ---Sounds rather polite to me!  But I have been known to be somewhat direct on occasion!
Hawkdancer

--- End quote ---
... ah, but you have to read between the lines...
"I trust these comments will be received in the spirit they are offered"
The spirit in which they are offered is, in fact one of huge annoyance and contempt for his stupidity... dunno if he'll get that tho'  ::)
Del

sleek:

--- Quote from: Del the cat on July 07, 2019, 11:04:12 am ---
--- Quote from: Hawkdancer on July 07, 2019, 10:40:38 am ---Sounds rather polite to me!  But I have been known to be somewhat direct on occasion!
Hawkdancer

--- End quote ---
... ah, but you have to read between the lines...
"I trust these comments will be received in the spirit they are offered"
The spirit in which they are offered is, in fact one of huge annoyance and contempt for his stupidity... dunno if he'll get that tho'  ::)
Del

--- End quote ---

Such eloquence, your exlemplary use of such hubris toward willful arrogance, in your vernacular leaves nothing to be desired. Heres hoping his pompous ass is proportionate to his brain, and it gets it.

Del the cat:
@ Sleek
Nice <reaches for dictionary to double check exactly what hubris means>  ;D
Del

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version