Main Discussion Area > Flight Bows

Del Has a Bit of a Moan ... Update!

<< < (3/4) > >>

meanewood:
If this were a plane crash, it would be classed as a combination of procedural and pilot error!

Rule no 1
Never draw a bow beyond its draw length.

Rule no 2
Don't hold the bow at full draw for more than 1-2 seconds

Hawkdancer:
That's the direct part!  I've had to deal with my share of pompous asses in my day!  Fortunately, none of them cost me a broken bow - them my actions may have been direct! Both of us would have had to go to the hospital!  Him to get my foot out of his arse!  Me because my foot was buried in his arse!  I do think every one at the shoot will be aware of his actions!
Hawkdancer

leonwood:
That's quite the story Del! Sorry to hear the organisers of the event did not know how to handle real flight bows. But congrats on the win with the other bow! I think your reply to them is rather polite and I hope they take action on the next shoot. (although I have a feeling this is not going to help change this any time soon. Those "historical correct" kinda people are usually crazy stubborn)

Del the cat:
I had a somewhat apologetic response which also cleared up some of the reasons for the explosion.  :)
The main point is they were measuring to the belly of the bow...
Well, yes this may be correct for flight bows and flight arrows in specific weight categories, BUT this is unlimited, and the conventional way to measure draw length of an ELB, Warbow or, I'd venture to suggest any wooden bow, is to the back of the bow.
In fact modern IMO standards are to the belly at the throat of the grip but they add 1.75" to that, which would put you the back on a wooden bow.

So the bow had been drawn to 27" on the tiller (measured to the back) but they drew it to 28" measured to the belly, which is about 29.5" to the back... no wonder it blew!

I'm not being dogmatic about what is "correct"... it's the misunderstanding and confusion that is the problem.
Hopefully the matter will be resolved, and some improvements will be made to the test rig and specification.

Del

Selfbowman:
Why are they weighing unlimited class bows ? Arvin

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version