Author Topic: My first bow  (Read 1971 times)

Offline i7718

• Son of a bowyer
My first bow
« on: June 29, 2019, 11:57:59 am »
First of all, let me say that I'm not trying to break any rules here. If my post doesn't belong in this section, or any others, I apologize.

I am extremely "green" as you might say. My father is a true bowyer and built several sinew-backed osage and hickory bows for himself and family in the 90s. I recently fell back in love with archery and bow making and have asked him to show me the way. He was all too happy to agree.

Soon we will be harvesting a hickory tree from his property and I will be building a real shooter. But I just can't wait. I'm too excited. I've been reading up on this forum and studying The Bent Stick for a month and decided to try some things on my own.

What follows is something that, like I say, may not belong on this forum...but I had such a fantastic time doing it that I had to share my joy with a group who might actually appreciate it as much as I have. If I am mistaken, I apologize and will not post again until I have something primitive in nature to share.

That's a 5 1/2" bamboo skewer selfbow with flame hardened arrows whittled down from that same skewer. I made the target from the bottom of a styrofoam cup.

My first attempts were with toothpicks which almost worked...but I never could get one strung...the tip would always break off. So after about a dozen attempts, I began looking for other materials, and the bamboo skewer jumped out at me.

I couldn't be happier. Now, all I need to do is genetically engineer a 6" human to take it hunting!

Hope you enjoyed. I'll be back soon with pics, questions, and stories about my first real bow making experience.

-i7718
Hobbyist, apprentice, perfectionist.

Offline DC

Re: My first bow
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2019, 12:31:32 pm »
Looks like a nice bend. :D The toothpick one was probably pine or poplar which may explain why it broke.

Offline Deerhunter21

• What do you despise? By this are you truly known.
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2019, 12:33:29 pm »
woah! thats a big lighter!  (lol)   welcome to PA! I once tried to make a small bow and failed miserably so good job! this is a great place to share what you make and everyone heres nice! im excited to see your next bow!
Life before death. Strength before weakness. Journey before destination.

Offline Jakesnyder

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2019, 04:38:15 pm »
Welcome to the addiction... hi my names Jake and I'm an addict. It has been exactly an hour since my last wood scraping fix. I have to say I'm really feeling the urge to use again... :-[

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2019, 04:39:19 pm »
We deal with bows from natural materials and your bow definitely qualifies. Size doesn't matter. The braced profile looks good. Any chance of a full draw pic?   8)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2019, 03:55:07 am »
We deal with bows from natural materials and your bow definitely qualifies. Size doesn't matter. The braced profile looks good. Any chance of a full draw pic?   8)

I'd have to agree with Pat. Would like to see full draw. Honestly those little ones you have to get every inch bending properly.
Welcome to PA.
Bjrogg
PS pretty nice group
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2019, 09:13:08 am »
Neat bow!  Must take a really short person to draw it >:D :BB!  Welcome aboard, there is a whole bunch of talented Bowyers on site willing to help!  MoJam is in 3 weeks, there is a bunch of bow building going on as well as other activities!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline i7718

• Son of a bowyer
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2019, 10:02:23 am »
Hey guys, thanks for the warm welcome! I half expected to get laughed off the forum, so it was real nice to have some genial remarks. Much appreciated.

I've got a pic of it at full draw and have been trying to get photobucket to allow me to share it, but have been unsuccessful all morning...some kind of upload communication issue with their app or something like that. It's above my pay grade, honestly...I'm just along for the ride until it's fixed.

I'll follow up soon(ish).

Thanks again!
Hobbyist, apprentice, perfectionist.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2019, 10:29:22 am »
Try Imgur, another photo sharing site that most everyone has gone to.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2019, 10:52:35 am »
I have mentioned this multiple times and only a few folks have switched, but downloading “Gimp” solves all of the pic hosting problems. Free download. Easy to use. No disappearing pics or any of the other pic hosting issues. I own my pics. I have them all. A decades worth. Stored on an external drive, but you can keep them on a CD, thumb drive etc.
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline Deerhunter21

• What do you despise? By this are you truly known.
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2019, 12:55:39 pm »
Hey guys, thanks for the warm welcome! I half expected to get laughed off the forum, so it was real nice to have some genial remarks. Much appreciated.

I've got a pic of it at full draw and have been trying to get photobucket to allow me to share it, but have been unsuccessful all morning...some kind of upload communication issue with their app or something like that. It's above my pay grade, honestly...I'm just along for the ride until it's fixed.

I'll follow up soon(ish).

Thanks again!
Hey, anything here other than politics, religion, vulgarity, and money in the trading post will be taken seriously (or jokingly if its a joke!) We try not to be mean here!
Life before death. Strength before weakness. Journey before destination.