Author Topic: Sinew vs rawhide vs B50 string material  (Read 1289 times)

Offline Mesophilic

Sinew vs rawhide vs B50 string material
« on: June 30, 2019, 05:55:39 pm »
Hey guys, wanted to see what your thoughts are.  Randomly  found  a video where a gentleman chronographed bow strings of rawhide, sinew, and B50.  The results really surprised me.    Would each string material give about the same results across the board or do you think this is specific to the primitive hickory bow he used?  I.E. recurves, horn bows, reflex deflex?

Youll need to add an "h" to beginning of the url prefix.

ttps://youtu.be/X59f-wPKpAs
Trying is the first step to failure
-Homer Simpson-

Offline Badger

Re: Sinew vs rawhide vs B50 string material
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2019, 07:08:59 pm »
  In order to compare string properly they have to be at the same level of strain, For the most part the weight of the string is the biggest factor in the speed affects it has on a bow. The stretch does not have much impact. Fast flight is usually faster than b-50 primarily because it is stronger and lighter.

Offline aaron

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2019, 08:11:55 pm »
The vid shows 3 string matl's all producing equal arrow speeds. In the comments is this info on weight: sinew 242 grains, rawhide 246 grains, and dacron 221 grains. This seems to support what Badger is saying.
Ilwaco, Washington, USA
"Good wood makes great bows, but bad wood makes great bowyers"

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2019, 08:24:33 pm »
Wow,,,that's amazing,,,good to know

Offline PaSteve

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2019, 04:48:59 am »
Yes, very good information. Low strand count FF strings getting higher speeds also concur with Badger's assessment about string weight.
"It seems so much more obvious with bows than with other matters, that we are the guardians of the prize we seek." Dean Torges

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2019, 07:49:43 am »
  Shows NA and primitive folks bows weren't slow...Linen is my choice as far as a natural and durable string when made properly...I like the idea of a 3 ply rawhide string, but haven't had problems with my 2 ply either...Humidity hasn't affected mine but don't get rawhide or sinew wet in a down pour or you will have problems...I have been using pitch, bees wax and lard together lately and have had good water repellency...I use enough lard in the matrix to create a soft paste for my strings...I also use the same mixture for an occasional rub down on my bow...Ryan has some interesting videos...The amount of conditioner or wax you apply will really change the weight of a string abruptly...Most of my bendy's @ 50's with a rawhide string heavily conditioned shoot around upper 120-130 @ 600+ grn arrows...Seems there's always a trade off, but I'm a hunter only...
                                                                                                                                                        Don
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;