Author Topic: Ipe/Hickory  (Read 2790 times)

M3

Ipe/Hickory
« on: April 14, 2008, 03:00:08 pm »
Am going to build a board bow of Ipe-Ipe handle-Hickory backing. My question is what glue would be the best and how much clamping pressure should be used? Thank you.

Offline snedeker

Re: Ipe/Hickory
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2008, 03:18:33 pm »
I use TiteBond 3 with good results, while some favor Resorscinol for such projects.  Clamps every 3 inches or so should do.

Dave

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2008, 04:50:15 pm »
I've used TBIII with hickory backed ipe with good results. Don't make your bow too wide. My first hickory backed ipe was 2" wide and when all was said and done the hickory backing was thicker than the ipe belly wood.  1 1/4" or even less should be good enough for a bow 62" to 66" long for a 28" draw. You could easily get 60# out of it. Like osage, it doesn't take much ipe to make a good bow.
With TB glues, you want flat, smooth glue surfaces(no toothing) and enough pressure to get a good glue line without squeezing all the glue out. I use spring clamps for glue up but some use a wrap of inner tube cut into strips. This seems to give almost perfect gluing pressure. I may try it on my next glue up.      Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Badger

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2008, 06:44:06 pm »
Sometimes the factory surface on the ipe will be on the shiny side, at least roughed up with 60 grit sandpaper will give you a good surface for glueing. Steve