Author Topic: Yew, Boilling good?  (Read 3775 times)

Offline servicebeary

Yew, Boilling good?
« on: April 10, 2008, 03:45:47 am »
Has anyone ever used boilling to strainghten yew?  I'm bout to go buy the pipe, I wonder if boilling would make it more brittle than steam, or heat?  Any advice on the best size for boiling pipe?  I tried steam, but in cold Idaho my white gas stove, and 3 hours later, all I did was possibly damage the stave:(  no more steam for me.  It's obvious when water boils, and the temp is therefore correct:)
I take life 1 month in the Montana wilds at a time...

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Yew, Boilling good?
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2008, 10:45:11 am »
Boiling should be fine but if your yew is well seasoned, seal the back, first, with shellac to help prevent checking as it dries. You should be able to buy spray shellac where you get the pipe.      Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline broad_head

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2008, 11:04:15 am »
Hi
    I have steamed and boiled yew with good results. I use a large pan (14 - 15 inches in diameter) and cover the pan/stave with foil, this concentates the steam to the area to be bent. I would guess that a pipe steamer would only be used if you need to heat the hole stave?
          Peter (UK)

Offline OldBow

• I'm just an old retired biology teacher.
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2008, 01:06:34 pm »
I use my heat gun on yew. Works great with no soggy wood to dry out.
When you're retired, every day is Saturday

Offline servicebeary

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2008, 11:10:18 pm »
thanks for all the advice.  hmm, I'm hearing so much good stuff about heat guns that maybe I'll have to give it a try.  Only if it's cheap though, I'm wicked allergic to yew dust, I've gotten 3 terrible migraines while working on it, so I quit using a rasp on it, just scraping it now.  I like service berry and chokecherry better anyhow. 

Offline OldBow

• I'm just an old retired biology teacher.
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2008, 01:08:04 am »
I like service berry and chokecherry better anyhow. 
Although I really like yew, I've had good luck with service berry and chokecherry, too.
Keep in touch..
OldBow, Miissoula, Montana
When you're retired, every day is Saturday

Offline servicebeary

« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2008, 01:44:24 am »
good to hear, I've actually just started my 3rd attempt at a serviceberry bow, and have yet to use chokecherry, but I like them because they are native plants that I've eaten and made other tools out of.  hmm, if I get the job that I applied for in Missoula I'll have to track you down.  See many grizz near there?  I've backpacked in the Bob and the Bear tooths, both being my favorite destinations, and have fished around Missoula.  You hunt moose?     

radius

« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2008, 01:59:13 pm »
I agree with ya.  I've only made one bow out of yew (see yew holmegaard in the buildalong section) but I found that the dust was very irritating.