Author Topic: Serving problem  (Read 2229 times)

Offline DC

Serving problem
« on: June 20, 2019, 04:29:28 pm »
I just made a continuous loop string for my grandsons new bow. First time I braced it the serving pulled apart(arrow). I've made a half dozen or so CL strings and this it the first time it's happened. I'm not sure what happened. The bow is only about 20# so the tension can't be that high. What did I do wrong?

PS this is on the non overlap end, if you know what I mean.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Serving problem
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2019, 04:45:01 pm »
Looks like it's rubbing on that bottom edge maybe. I would narrow towards the belly side so the loop slides easily along that edge. There is plenty of "meat" on the tips so you could narrow then, at least towards the belly.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline PatM

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2019, 05:02:44 pm »
Your bow tip shape is more the culprit.

Offline DC

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2019, 05:08:28 pm »
It's not quite a square as it looks. That "corner" is mostly shadow but I can see what you're saying. I will round it off. Should the tip be circular in cross section? I'm still tillering, that's why it's rough.

Offline PatM

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2019, 05:49:49 pm »
Just make some nice grooves merging at the shape of a teardrop.  Then there is no force splitting the served area.

Offline lleroy

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2019, 01:03:06 am »
I think the groove in the horn does not line up with the groove in the wood

Offline DC

« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2019, 11:19:09 am »
Can I bring this up again. I'm still having this problem with continuous loop strings. The serving separates and pulls apart. I've tried reshaping the tip with no luck. I'm wondering if my loops are too small. I like a small loop on the bottom so the string doesn't fall off but it seems like it's stretching the serving. Could I get someone to post a picture of a continuous string loop on the bow so I can get an idea of how big the loops are and kind of the angle it lays at?

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2019, 01:01:57 pm »
I think maybe you are right, I dont have a photo,, (-S

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2019, 01:52:59 pm »
This is a known problem with continuous loop string, especially on warbows :o I'll share my findings.
1. Have plenty of tension on the string and serving material while serving.
2. When pulling the two ends of the loop together (where it makes a Y) start the serving with some figure 8 holding the two together, and overlap slightly over the loop serving. That works quite well, but can still pull apart with V high tension warbows.
3. What I've been doing recently is to bind the two sides together with some very fine linen thread (just 3 or 4 turns) and the touch it with low visc' super glue. Then serve over that. This seems good and reliable, the superglue doesn't adversely effect the serving or the string as it is both manmade and waxed ( I wouldn't recommend it with a natural string)... but it does soak into the linen forming a solid ring which clinches the two sides together.
Del
PS.. .don't tell the other... it's a secret ;D

« Last Edit: September 04, 2019, 11:06:07 am by Del the cat »
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline DC

« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2019, 07:29:56 pm »
Thanks Del, mums the word.

Offline ohma2

« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2019, 10:25:33 am »
Not enough tension on server as Del stated and you could reduce that tip diameter and round it over some.

Offline DC

« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2019, 10:31:49 am »
Thanks I'll try that.