Author Topic: Tips  (Read 2164 times)

Offline DC

Tips
« on: June 07, 2019, 12:05:04 pm »
If you are shaping a bow and you find yourself with a tip that looks like this from the end do you reshape the tip without touching the back and end up with it looking twisted or do you reshape the back so the tip sits up on top of the bow?

Offline simson

• stonehill-primitive-bows
    • stonehill-primitive-bows
Re: Tips
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2019, 12:32:59 pm »
What's about making it asymmetric?
Something like here: http://primitive-bows.com/osage-working-recurve-4828-no-43/

When not using overlays you can consider making a one side sidenock
Simon
Bavaria, Germany

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2019, 12:52:19 pm »
Remove a little wood from the right corner to even it off. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Woodely

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2019, 01:17:55 pm »
:)  so what did you do in the past. ?  keep on doing what ya did previously I guess.. " Remove a little wood from the right corner to even it off"
"Doing bad work is an exercise in futility, but honestly making mistakes is trying your best."

Offline DC

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2019, 02:01:37 pm »
:)  so what did you do in the past. ? 

You know, I'm not sure. I think I avoided it by moving the tip over earlier in the build. None of my bows have asymmetric tips so I did something. I'm not sure I like asymmetric(sorry Simon :D) This question was more to find out what others did. I think this only came up because I working with a Ninebark sapling and the narrow tip and large off centre pith kind of dictated where the tip should go. Maybe I'll go sorta asymmetric on this one. :D

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2019, 03:20:34 pm »
It would kind of depend.  If it's a straight limb bow then I wouldn't touch the back, just even out the belly and never mind if it looks twisted, but if it's a recurve where it would affect how the string tracks on the belly then I might work the back a bit as well as the belly side
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2019, 07:53:17 pm »
It would kind of depend.  If it's a straight limb bow then I wouldn't touch the back, just even out the belly and never mind if it looks twisted, but if it's a recurve where it would affect how the string tracks on the belly then I might work the back a bit as well as the belly side

That's exactly what I was thinking.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2019, 11:10:38 am »
sometimes I just narrow the tip a bit and round the corners some,, and it looks better

Offline DC

« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2019, 11:19:08 am »
Well I made it sort of symmetrical. Then I braced it and the string alignment was way off and I had to steam the limb to correct that. While I was at it I gave the limb a bit of a twist and now the tip can be be normal. ;D Karma

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2019, 03:59:28 pm »
I heat the limb, put it tip in my vise and give it a little tweak.

Offline Selfbowman

« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2019, 05:26:28 am »
Eric's reply first and if I am understanding Mark correctly. I do his  recommendations next. Arvin 
Well I'll say!!  Osage is king!!