Author Topic: Red elm  (Read 1201 times)

Offline Mafort

Red elm
« on: May 31, 2019, 09:35:08 am »
So I have a stave of red elm that’s like 40” 50” long too small to make an unbacked bow... at least one I’d be comfortable using but I wanted to know about the sapwood. Is it ok to sinew back the sap wood too? or should I think it out like people do to yew wood? or should I completely get rid of it? I have some horn scrap scrap strips about 12 inches long that I used to take out arrow nock reinforcements that I was gunna glue on them to kinda mess around with it. I was going to make it bend through it’s entire length and then glue on the horn and then sinew back it and see what kinda bow came out of it if anything at all will. I know the heart wood is really good and it’s some real tough stuff but I’m not positive about that sapwood. Anyways I appreciate all the wisdom on here from whoever comments cause this is just an experiment with some materials I’ve been to worried about messing up.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Red elm
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2019, 10:39:29 am »
The sapwood, the wood right under the bark is what you make the bow from, sinewed or not. I guess you can make a bow from the heartwood but why if the sapwood is so good.
 You'd better research sinew backed/horn belly bows before you just make one. It's liable to come out 100# or more with not many options to reduce the weight.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Mafort

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2019, 11:04:02 am »
Everything is fine with the stave. I just wasn’t sure what the sinew would do to it beyond the obvious reason bowmakers use sinew. I have also been researching. I know they need to be thin or else I’ll make one that’s way to heavy. Thinking maybe 3/8th inch for the core and the horn is already an 1/8th inch thick. I should be ok. Then again I’m no expert so I’ll research it some more. Thanks pat I appreciate your help

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2019, 12:28:54 pm »
Ask on the Horn Bows section.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC