Author Topic: Burnt Offering  (Read 10023 times)

Offline leonwood

• Leonwood Bows
Re: Burnt Offering
« Reply #30 on: May 30, 2019, 01:21:17 am »
Great little bendy! I always like your tillerwork. This bowmaking thing is great therapy ;D

Offline simson

• stonehill-primitive-bows
« Reply #31 on: May 30, 2019, 03:16:10 am »

Simson ThankYou so much for all the inspiration you have given me and so many others. You do such fine work and I very much respect your opinion. I truly would love to meet you and make some shavings together some day.

Yep, that would be a lot of fun! You just need to swim over the pond ...
(I have 3 working places & benches in my garage!!!! and some hundred staves)
Simon
Bavaria, Germany

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #32 on: May 30, 2019, 03:43:49 am »
ThankYou rps3

Russell. I remember the look on you and your dads face when I shot it. I also remember the look on your faces when you shot it. I'm pretty sure mine had a big smile to.

Leonwood you are a fine bowyer. You have learned well. I remember seeing your first bow and knowing it was going to be a BOM. Thanks and I think we both take the same medicine.

Simson. If it ever warms up enough I might practice in the big lake till I think I can make it across the pond. I'll bring my rubber duckie.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #33 on: May 30, 2019, 04:54:26 am »
Hey there my friend, sorry it took me so long to get a chance to comment on this one. I'm rounding the last bend of the annual game of tag if you know what I mean.

First thing's first, that tiller is spot on. I love the tips, skins and grip too. She looks as though she's just completely disappear in the woods. I'll bet that wasn't accidental.  ;)

Awesome bow  )P(
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #34 on: May 30, 2019, 09:35:39 am »
Thanks Jeff. I don't think it took that long for you to reply. Less than 24 hours for sure.
I'm sure your ready to play tag. You get the school year over and then the shavings will really fly. If you can make it to my neck of the woods my offer always is open. Have a great summer buddy.
Bjrogg

Offline paulc

« Reply #35 on: May 30, 2019, 05:06:01 pm »
Bjrogg, so did you really heat treat until a bit of char was on the belly?  My current hickory project I think (my scale has walked off...) is going to come in a bit light so your "heavy" heat treat has me interested.  I have treated the stave once already to a nice marshmallow tan/brown but I think I did it too early maybe as that was a full 1/8th" worth of wood ago.  I am guessing/assuming my first heat treat did not go that deep? Or not much deeper...I have purposely not been drawing it too much yet as I didn't want to compress the belly before I could get a second heat treat on it.

Thanks for your thoughts.  Paul

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #36 on: May 30, 2019, 05:26:00 pm »
Yes Paul I did. It seems to me HHB likes a good toasting. I also wanted it to set its recurves and hoping to get a little reflex. Usually I end up scraping most of the dark colors away when I tiller but I decided to give this one a second heat treat after I had already tillered it once. I'm not sure how hickory is with heat. I know it performs better in dry conditions. I think the heat treatment helps compression in certain woods and I think hickory is a bit poor in compression. I'm really not a authority on this stuff though. All I can say is what I've tried. I can usually feel the difference in the wood when I'm scraping it. It scrapes much harder where it's been treated. Other than the chard stuff.
Bjrogg

Offline M2A

« Reply #37 on: May 30, 2019, 09:55:02 pm »
You been cranking out some real high class stuff. Very nice bow all around. Sure do like the tips on this one, they fit right in with the skins.
Mike

Offline simson

« Reply #38 on: May 31, 2019, 12:49:03 am »
ThankYou rps3

Simson. If it ever warms up enough I might practice in the big lake till I think I can make it across the pond. I'll bring my rubber duckie.
Bjrogg

Haha, like the rubber duck idea. We have a rubber duck race competion at a river here nearby my home. So when you come we can take part and see how fast is the American duck. Hopefully your duck is as yeller as osage  :OK :OK :OK
Simon
Bavaria, Germany

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #39 on: May 31, 2019, 04:52:10 am »
ThankYou rps3

Bjrogg

Haha, like the rubber duck idea. We have a rubber duck race competion at a river here nearby my home. So when you come we can take part and see how fast is the American duck. Hopefully your duck is as yeller as osage  :OK :OK :OK

Ha ha. Simson, glad you have a rubber duckie race. Yes my American duckie  is yellow like Osage. I'm guessing he's actually born in China though if you know what I mean. Pretty sure those German duckies would leave him in their wake.
Bjrogg

Offline Dante_F

« Reply #40 on: May 31, 2019, 05:36:53 pm »
Very very nice far better than any of my few creations

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #41 on: June 01, 2019, 07:48:46 am »
Very very nice far better than any of my few creations

Thanks Delta Wolf. It took me about sixty bows to get here. Keep at it. It'll come. I'm still very much learning.
Bjrogg

Offline simson

« Reply #42 on: June 03, 2019, 09:14:57 am »
Well, after a long thinking about BOM selfies  -  I know which one will have my vote. It was a tough decision between two, because the other one is also a fine looking bow and made also from beautiful wood … but the profiles on this one aren't to beat.

PS for Brian:
I did an intensive medical inspection of my rubber duckie, and believe it or not, it seems she was also born in China . So maybe yours and mine are sisters?
Keep on making extraordinary bows and training rubber duckies
Simon
Bavaria, Germany

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #43 on: June 03, 2019, 01:30:20 pm »

PS for Brian:
I did an intensive medical inspection of my rubber duckie, and believe it or not, it seems she was also born in China . So maybe yours and mine are sisters?
[/quote]

Imagine that!! It is a small world isn't it.
Bjrogg
PS for Simson I think you missed a bow there. I saw more than two nice bows with beautiful profiles

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #44 on: June 03, 2019, 02:07:55 pm »
Beautiful bow BJ.  :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good