Author Topic: birch bark covering over sinew, how do you do it?  (Read 5660 times)

Offline PatM

Re: birch bark covering over sinew, how do you do it?
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2019, 04:17:44 pm »
The paper varieties of birch produce better stuff.  The thickness you use can often be dependent on how much the bark wants to separate.    Ideally about three to four layers fused together as it often does is likely the best option.

I have used a single layer though and let it basically function about like a layer of paint with the cosmetic features inherent in birch.

I am embarrassed to admit I have so much of it kicking around that I'll grab some to start a fire.

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2019, 11:37:08 pm »
Thanks Pat, thats all really usefull, I think I'll spend a little while looking for something  bit better. 

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2019, 09:38:27 am »
Couldn't find anything fallen and not rotted so I went with the new option; have cut plenty of 3-layer thick bark pieces, some larger pieces about 8" square, some smaller strips. So, what's next?  Do they need to be dried and if so, do I need to soak them before applying to a bow, also, which way up and which way around are the strips placed and do you sand them smooth or leave the finish natural? Thanks again

Offline PatM

« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2019, 03:49:21 pm »
You can just shingle them on in strips however you like.    Bows covered in bark use every possible configuration from across the limb through diagonal or perfectly straight.  Using separate shorter pieces allows  you a bit less stress in trying to get the whole piece stuck properly at once.

No real need to dry it because you add water based glue anyway and the bark itself is pretty water resistant.

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
« Reply #19 on: June 14, 2019, 12:42:40 pm »
Thanks Pat, looks like I'm all set, just need my other half to go out for the day so I can crack on!

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2019, 04:00:22 am »
So I got an hour in the workshop and covered the bow, sinew side only, with 2 inch wide strips slightly overlapping and gelatin glue. I tied them down to dry and most are on pretty tight but one has an air pocket,  any advice on what to do, should I warm up the patch and tie it diwn or lift it and re glue it, or push some glue under and strap it down?

Offline NorthHeart

« Reply #21 on: June 21, 2019, 06:00:36 am »
Ive heard of this, but never understood it. Usually i peel the bark off when making a bow ;D What benefit does adding birchbark over sinew (or over any bows back) provide? Is it done for performance, protection from the elements, or simply aesthetic reasons? Would you ever want to back a self bow with birchbark?

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
« Reply #22 on: June 21, 2019, 07:24:36 am »
Birch bark has a high level of tar, which you can boil out of it under the right conditions, and so is waterproof but as it is stretchy it doesnt tear apart as the bow bends

Offline PatM

« Reply #23 on: June 21, 2019, 07:59:55 pm »
The best thing to do is make absolutely sure you are chasing out any bubbles as you go.  If you kind of roll on  the pieces you can generally eliminate the air as you proceed.    You can poke a pin hole in any obvious pockets and press the bark down but the glue still needs to be damp and activated to do this.

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
« Reply #24 on: June 22, 2019, 07:11:29 am »
I lifted and re-glued a couple of strips I wasn't happy with and used the tip of a hot iron (sh! don't tell!!  >:D) on an air bubble in a strip that was otherwise on really tight, it all seems OK now.

Is it a good idea to bind the ends with thread or sinew? 
« Last Edit: June 22, 2019, 08:29:32 am by stuckinthemud »

Offline NorthHeart

« Reply #25 on: June 23, 2019, 08:04:38 am »
stuck-what are we seeing here...is this a very short bow with horn tips?

Obviously i can't comment to birchbark, but i am an "over-binder" of bows in general.  This can be seen on my recent sinew backed horn and wood bows.  Too much time and materials to take any chances, especially if there is an iffy spot here or there.

I really look forward to seeing some more pics of your bow when its done.  You have kind of got me interested in trying this. :OK

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
« Reply #26 on: June 23, 2019, 09:29:30 am »
Its a little angry bow, you could say its quite cross!! >:D.  Horn tips v-scarfed into yew and sinew bow, somewhere in the region of 110#11" draw, 29" ntn, 2" wide at centre, 1" at tips.

Offline DC

« Reply #27 on: June 23, 2019, 11:46:34 am »
Angry, cross, clever ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline NorthHeart

« Reply #28 on: June 23, 2019, 03:52:26 pm »
OH! I get it, i get it.  Even more cool, cant wait to see her done up. :OK