Author Topic: I've gone and done it now  (Read 1206 times)

Offline Rākau

• Aotearoa-the land of the long white cloud
I've gone and done it now
« on: May 24, 2019, 03:34:04 am »
and have just turned a 72" longbow into a 61" stave haha I would like to hear your opinions. I have just piked 10.5" off a 72" longbow that I never used due to it being shocky and poorly tillered. and I wanted to have a go at a shortish bendy
the plan is to heat in some reflex and then tiller her out to 50# at 26" (read, "try"),
anywho, I will post some updates as i bumble my way through this project and any thoughts or advice will be much appreciated.

cheers,
Zach
« Last Edit: May 24, 2019, 03:56:17 am by Rākau (NZnuka) »

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
Re: I've gone and done it now
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2019, 04:08:08 am »
Looks like you have plenty of wood to work with.
I'd have sawn 1" less off each end just to give you some extra to allow adjustment... (and the fun of sawing it off later  ::) )
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Rākau

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2019, 07:30:09 pm »
Thanks Dell, she was 65 at 28 originally, so lole you say, should have plenty of material to work with, and you're right I should have been a bit less gung ho haha, ahhh well moving forward.

while reflexing I pushed it a bit much and got a crack across the belly at one tip, not too worried as it was shallow and the tips are waaay too stiff anyway.
total reflex gained is 2", i expect I will probably lose most/all of that though

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2019, 08:22:06 pm »
It should work ;)

Offline Rākau

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2019, 01:20:51 am »
Haha well i'm still learning the difference between should work and will work (lol)