Main Discussion Area > Flight Bows

Splice reinforcement

(1/3) > >>

DC:
I think I asked this before and never got a definitive answer. Now I'm thinking about making a legal flight bow so it's more important. If I use billets and also use two pieces of backing is it legal to have a short "power lam" to reinforce the splice? My splices are 2 1/2" long so the "power lam" would only have to be about 4". it may not be necessary but it would make me feel better :D

PatM:
Chances are they will bounce the bow into the complex composite class even though it's not complex in the working limb.

You can check the rules.  Presumably you are going by the American rules.

You may be OK if the power lam definitively does not extend at all into the fades and work at all.

Check the simple composite rules here.
https://usflightarchery.com/pdf/02_USAA-2017-Update-Flight%20Equipment.pdf

DC:
I noticed this
iv) The bow handle may be wrapped with leather or other natural materials.

If the handle wrap covered the "power lam" they wouldn't know it was there. So they must think that anything under the wrap is OK. What do you think?

Didn't know that "under the wraps" was an archery term ;D ;D ;D

Badger:
   A built up handle is fine for a simple composite bow. I believe your power lam would have to be less than 12" long but to be sure I would have to double check the rules on that.

PatM:
Yes, a block can be added but the length is limited to the non working area.  May not be a set  length thing but rather dependent on where the limbs begin to work.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version