Author Topic: Making bow longer then your draw length  (Read 2571 times)

Offline cutty

Making bow longer then your draw length
« on: May 12, 2019, 08:35:55 pm »
How do you shoot in a bow made for someone who has 5” more draw length then you?

Offline Hawkdancer

Re: Making bow longer then your draw length
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2019, 09:25:53 pm »
Mark the arrows for your draw length!  A black ring or a sinew wrap to hit your finger.  You may need to  experiment a bit. Excess draw length is usually not a problem.
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline cutty

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2019, 09:38:16 pm »
I mean I’m making a bow for someone who has a 30” draw, mine is 25”.

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2019, 12:43:28 am »
Start with a suitably long stave, scale up an existing bow and tiller it to the required draw length in the usual way.
So 30" is 1.2 time 25"
So make the bow 20% longer... or go for 25% just for wriggle room. The thickness/width will go up a bit too.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline DC

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2019, 08:27:16 am »
How do you shoot in a bow made for someone who has 5” more draw length then you?

Hire someone taller to do it ;)

Offline Woodely

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2019, 08:47:17 am »
Just pull it on a tiller stick numerous times this should stress the wood fibres enough I would think.  In all my bow building over the last 8 years I have found that shooting my bows in makes hardly any difference in any noticeable weight changes or otherwise.  After 200 shots the bows still hold their own.
"Doing bad work is an exercise in futility, but honestly making mistakes is trying your best."

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2019, 09:30:40 am »
Yep, I've got some bows that has over 1000 shots through them and the poundage is the same as it was after 100.
I have found that a bow will lose weight during the final tillering or break in stage.  Which is about 100 shots for me. Good luck with her.  She's looking like a good one.
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2019, 11:02:36 am »
just pull it back to 30 inches and shoot it,,, you will see its not that hard,,, )W(

Offline Mountain Man1

« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2019, 12:15:41 pm »
 Easy way to check is grab the end of your tape measure with the support hand and draw back with the other the exact same as you would a bow. Once your hand hits 30 find where the anchor will be and use that point for shooting it in. Or just tiller it 30" and have him come shoot in his own bow.

Offline Badger

« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2019, 12:55:44 pm »
Just pull it on a tiller stick numerous times this should stress the wood fibres enough I would think.  In all my bow building over the last 8 years I have found that shooting my bows in makes hardly any difference in any noticeable weight changes or otherwise.  After 200 shots the bows still hold their own.
I agree with that just give it a good workout on the chiller tree no different than shooting it