Author Topic: Fixing the worst of the worst  (Read 4725 times)

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
Re: Fixing the worst of the worst
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2019, 10:03:55 am »
I've got a friend, fellow bow maker, who is just gifted at shooting.  Hand him your bow and a handful of arrows and he will shoot it well.  Any reasonable distance.  I will never shoot that well.  Let me take 6 months off and I have to start all over.  I can work to improve my shooting over time.  He's just a natural at it that I will never be.
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline DC

« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2019, 10:29:28 am »
Sorry Eric, this kinda went sideways. I do want to see the gory details of the fix :D :D

Offline wizardgoat

« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2019, 10:43:12 am »
That’s fixable for sure! I had a old bow I built for a friend split the horn overlay and pulled the string into the bow a good 6”. I was able to epoxy and glue a new overlay on.

Shooting bows is like golf or playing pool to me, some days I think I finally figured it out, other days
not so much!

Offline DC

« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2019, 10:56:18 am »
My uncle always said you could tell how much a man wasted his youth by how well he played pool ;D ;D

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2019, 11:01:42 am »
the thing about archery,, its funny ,, you could practice 10,000 hours and be worse than when you started,, (-S

Offline wizardgoat

« Reply #20 on: May 05, 2019, 11:22:11 am »
Doesn’t help when I shoot a different bow every time I go out!

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2019, 11:54:47 am »
I’ve had those days, I’m worse at the end than the beginning. And yes, a different bow every time just keeps it...interesting. 🤪
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline bentstick54

« Reply #22 on: May 05, 2019, 02:12:34 pm »
Yes Eric, definitely a special bow, and a special archer. I have followed this web site long enough to know that if anyone can fix this bow it would be you. Please show us the repaired bow when our have it done.

Online Eric Krewson

« Reply #23 on: May 05, 2019, 04:46:29 pm »
About ability; when I got out of the Army I took the aptitude tests at the state employment office, I thought putting the peg in the round hole was almost an insult to my ability, but....one of the exercises was stacking small washers on a vertical peg. The well dressed ivy league looking guy next to me couldn't put one washer on the peg, he lacked the hand eye coordination, I finished the exercise in a matter of seconds.

It was then that I realized that ability and intelligence are multifaceted, we are all gifted in some areas and idiots in others.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2019, 05:22:16 am by Eric Krewson »

Offline DC

« Reply #24 on: May 05, 2019, 05:22:10 pm »
There was a guy I went to school with for most of my school years. Lets just say he was a sub standard student. Teachers thought he had no future. He could run a backhoe like no one else I've seen. First guy I ever saw load and unload a hoe into the back of a dump  truck. Almost had a sixth sense about copper pipes. He could somehow feel that there was a water pipe in the next scoop and stop. It was my first years with the telephone company. He was the contractor with the hoe and I was in the ditch with a shovel. ;D So much for good grades.

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #25 on: May 05, 2019, 10:11:16 pm »
Eric, I remember that test!  At least the peg and the hole in the washers were both round - luckily, I got a left handed set! (lol). Did pretty well on it, but wound up in the "people" business as a veteran's employment rep and training program rep.  More fun and they paid me to listen and talk!  Trying to make a deaf guy into a telephone customer service rep was putting a square peg into a round hole!  By all means, post the "fix along", we can all learn from your expertise.

DC,  practice makes perfect, only if it the right practice!  At least,  you got to run the shovel!, had a guy once we wouldn't even let near a shovel, and he was a veteran!  Had some success stories, too!

I managed to hit my 3D turkey 5 out of 6 arrows, 2 times out of 6 sets - pulled the last shot both times (10 yards) (SH) :G >:D!  Back to the range!  Here, Turkey, here, Turkey!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline leonwood

• Leonwood Bows
« Reply #26 on: May 06, 2019, 04:17:36 am »
Nice story and I am sure you can fix that! Would be awesome if she wins again with the repaired bow!

Online Eric Krewson

« Reply #27 on: May 13, 2019, 01:35:25 pm »
The first step will be to glue all the splintered pieces together, none of these pieces will be in the final fix but I intend to make a solid surface to glue the first lam to on the belly followed by grinding off all the splintered wood and gluing the second lam to the back mating it with the previously added new wood.

I have found string to be the best clamp for holding random round pieces in place, this bow tip is now more than 1/4" wide, I get its strength from added depth.