Author Topic: Endless string  (Read 2087 times)

Offline DC

Endless string
« on: May 01, 2019, 07:32:30 pm »
When you're making an endless string how do you get enough tension in the string so the serving jig works nicely?

Offline Woodely

Re: Endless string
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2019, 08:31:09 pm »
I dont quite get it.  What I do when I build a string is twist it just enough to get my brace height and then I serve it.  Or hold one end in a clamp some how to put tension on the string and serve it.   I serve all my strings on the bow when its braced.
"Doing bad work is an exercise in futility, but honestly making mistakes is trying your best."

Offline Badger

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2019, 09:22:28 pm »
When you're making an endless string how do you get enough tension in the string so the serving jig works nicely?

I don't really think of it as tension, I just like to rotate a tight string until all the strands are equal and then I start serving. I quess the posts that support the string may have a little give in them that holds tension like a spring but I don't consciously look for a certain pressure, just a little tight but even.

Offline DC

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2019, 09:55:32 pm »
When I'm doing the centre serving on a Flemish twist string the bow keeps the string tight so the serving tool doesn't bounce around. When I was trying to serve the loops of a continuous loop string it was like trying to do it slack almost. I had a heck of a time trying to lay one wrap neatly along side the last one. This is just for serving the loops, the centre serving I'll do on the bow just like a Flemish twist.

Offline DC

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2019, 12:07:19 pm »
Since you serve the loops is there any need to pad the loops? I'm only using 6 strands of FF. The outside Dia including the serving would be .072"
« Last Edit: May 02, 2019, 12:11:50 pm by DC »

Offline PatM

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2019, 03:32:17 pm »
Typically you wind the string very tight around four posts with enough room to freely serve.

Offline leonwood

• Leonwood Bows
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2019, 04:38:54 am »
Hmm, how solid is your serving jig? I made mine out of pine boards and I am able to wind the strand tight enough to serve the loops without problems... So if it is solid enough, wind it tighter I guess.

I use 6 or 8 strands fastflight and never pad the loops, never had a problem with it eather but I always use hardwood or horn tipoverlays

Offline DC

« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2019, 07:50:48 am »
I made a couple of improvements to my jig and it's much better now. It would be nice to have a crank on it to tension it up a bit but it's probably not necessary. Thanks for the help guys.

Offline PatM

« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2019, 12:21:19 pm »
 You can always squeeze the strands together across the width of the jig to add tension.

Offline DC

« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2019, 06:32:02 pm »
I was doing that but the posts were too tall and they would just bend over. I took a couple of inches off them and that stiffened it up.