Author Topic: Second crossbow 72,5" , 225# @ 28"  (Read 1085 times)

Offline dratera

Second crossbow 72,5" , 225# @ 28"
« on: April 30, 2019, 12:12:04 pm »
Wych elm, 64 mm (2,51") x 34 mm (1,34") in the middle and 23 mm x 18 mm just in front of the overlays, 72,5 " ntn.
Weight is unknown, forgot to weigh it before mounting it on the stock. 225# at 28 " draw when finished tillering, but could not shoot/break it in because of the weight. Have probably lost a few pounds now as it have been shot a bunch of times after being mounted. Stock is from spruce and stained with the tru oil walnut stain

Wanted to make another full size bow crossbow but a bit heavier than the last one. Fixated on making it 102 kg (225#), but had only one stave left which was shorter than i wanted so I tried to compensate for this by making it super wide, using the whole width of the stave which was one half of a log i split. You guys probably would say 225 # is too much to ask from a 74 " stave and I guess you're right, discovered a few nasty chrysals and frets that developed after shooting it. Think being held at full draw for several seconds is what does the damage. Still holding up and the frets arent expanding, but i guess it eventually will break. Lowered the brace height a bit to reduce the stress a little bit. Anyways it was and will be fun while it lasted. Here is is a video of it on the tiller https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_3LNAhtMs0M  not perfect but I think it looks decent, any comments? I will add some still pictures of it lower in this post , the video is not the best as its from an angle underneath.

the frets, what do you think? The white in the knot to the right is epoxy, and the line going out from it is not a fret. It got a few on the other limb too, pretty evenly distributed.

Thanks for looking!