Main Discussion Area > Flight Bows

ELB Musings

<< < (3/4) > >>

Del the cat:
Just tried some indoor test shots with an old rolled up duvet as an arrow catcher, worked great.
Impressively fast ;)  :o >:D
Del

willie:
if you are concerned that the bow will get too skinny, why not go shorter?

of course I know nothing of the old world warbow flight rules that constrain your design

Del the cat:

--- Quote from: willie on May 01, 2019, 03:19:56 pm ---if you are concerned that the bow will get too skinny, why not go shorter?

of course I know nothing of the old world warbow flight rules that constrain your design

--- End quote ---
Yup, already there ... it's as short as the regulations allow (plus half inch for good luck ::) )
Del

avcase:
Del,
Have you confirmed if the “regulations” will allow you to shoot the bow with the built up handle like you show in the picture?  I put the word regulations in quotes because when it comes to traditional bow types, there are the rules that were written down, then there seems to be a bunch of other unwritten rules that pop up as soon as you show your bow to the officials. ;)

Sorry if I am going off on a tangent. I have just developed a strong hatred for lazily written rules of competition. It makes it unfair to competitors because it opens the door to inconsistent enforcement.  Often, the rules say something like “must conform to the traditional shape of the English Longbow”, but I believe this assumes everyone has a common understanding of what this is should be. Unfortunately, there is no such thing as a common understanding of what traditional form is. I would like to see these rules tightened up.

Arvin had a similar question about a built up handle. It isn’t explicitly prohibited in the flight rules because it still meets the 5/8 ratio for minimum thickness to width ratio requirement.

Back to the question.  Yes, having a deeper handle can give you an overdraw effect, allowing you to shoot shorter and lighter arrows.  It also means you would be drawing the tip of the arrow further down the back of your hand. In effect, you are using the back of your hand like a Turkish sipur overdraw, except you don’t have the safety shield the sipur has.

Thanks,

Alan

Del the cat:
@ Avcase.
Yeah, I'm sure a bit of a riser would conform to ELB rules, as the Victorian longbows were like that with a longish grip section, the fade being known as "Buchans dips" after a well manufacturer of bows.
I take your point about it being more likely to stick the arrow into the base of my thumb tho.  :o
Del
PS. Result from my 50# Boo/Yew/Ipe  :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version