Main Discussion Area > Flight Bows

ELB Musings

(1/4) > >>

Del the cat:
I'm building a 50# ELB flight bow (well on on the mk5 at the mo'  ::) )
There are so many contradictory factors and questions.
I realise there are no magic answers, but I'm wondering about 2 things...
1. How narrow can you go whist retaining stability? Brace height will be a factor in stability too... which brings me to question 2.
2. One could have a fairly high brace and also a short arrow if the grip is padded out on the belly side by say and extra inch, the down side would be the string could whack your wrist (mind this could help damp out limb vibration/shock  >:D ::) )
Effectively an extra inch on the belly at the grip would allow a 1" shorter arrow.
Any thoughts, comments? (Derision and laughter also accepted  ;D )
Del

JNystrom:
1:1 (width to thickness) ratio bows are quite doable as long as string tracks completely in the middle and the bow doesn't have more than a inch of reflex.
I don't know about that grip padding though, doesn't make any sense. :D In contrast im quite used to low brace heights and i like the efficiency that it comes with.
Actually i haven't noticed really a big difference with low or "normal" brace height in stability. With hornbows they tend to wobble back and forth, but i guess not with wood bows. Not totally sure...

With my bows, the best i've managed after numerous heat manipulation to get them stay straight was 1" x 1" osage 140# @31" with 1" reflex in the beginning. 71" long.
Then some tonkin-ipe longbows, a bit lighter at 80-100 pounds or so,
Nr.1 a bit less than 1" wide x 3/4" thick with 1 1/2" reflex (100# @28"), 72" long
Nr.2 1 1/6" wide x 3/5" thick with 3" reflex (82# @26") 67" long
Those laminates were glued with snaky tonkin and hide glue was used. Hide glue was pretty great, since i had to heat them a lot to straighten the alignment of string. I don't know if this would have been possible with synthetic glues.

Del the cat:
Cheers, thanks for the response ... the tumbleweed was beginning to roll across the screen  ;D
Sounds like I'm in the right ball park as I'm down to 0.875" width, and the thickness is much less as it's only a 50#. :)
I wonder if a high or low BH is better for reducing limb shock/vibration?
That's why this is so much fun... more Qs than As.
I've got 3 bows to play with so I can compare them and then re-work the worst.
Theoretically I should home in on a best combination  ;D... but I'll probably end up with them improved to the point of uselessness  >:D
Used to have an acronym in electronics MBR ..... mended beyond repair  ;D
Del

Hawkdancer:
I think the "w'ist whack" would get your attention fairly quickly, but I've only been shooting about 70 years! >:D (lol).  I do like my brace height (fistmele) to clear my fletching, generally use 5" fletching, and my fistmele is about 5.5", when I can get my thumb up straight.  On the other hand "Mbr" is not quite as bad as "fubar"(f.u. Beyond all recognition)! >:D.!
Hawkdancer

Badger:
  Del I think the small gains that might come with a low brace height can be easily recovered with giving top priority to clean arrow flight right out of the bow. This seems to trump almost everything else.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version