Author Topic: Bow wood choices???  (Read 4139 times)

Offline Jakesnyder

Bow wood choices???
« on: April 27, 2019, 01:09:22 pm »
I'm looking for a new bow wood to try. Is there any white wood that doesnt have the spongy slow feeling that hickory can have. I'm partial to bendy handle shorter bows. (Mostly because of half-eye) maybe some heartwood. I love osage it's just so expensive to feed my bow building addiction?

Offline bassman

Re: Bow wood choices???
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2019, 01:34:09 pm »
Might try Black Locust.Make it a little wider than Osage,and sinew backed, and belly heat treated makes a very good bow.Sounds like your hickory is not dry enough to begin with or it is gathering un wanted moisture some how.I  probably have a dozen hanging on a wall in my house year round ,and they are any thing but spongy.Were do you live,and were are you storing your bows? In dry areas of the our country it is a very sought after wood by many  good bow makers.

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2019, 02:14:11 pm »
The list is a long one, and regional in nature, but for me, few white woods are much better than Hackberry and it's a big weed for most, so easy to find, plentiful and not a desirable landscape feature for most.  Toast the belly and it's as good as any white wood.
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline Jakesnyder

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2019, 03:57:51 pm »
I'm in south west pa. I store them in my garage. The spongy I'm talking about is how the limbs arnt as snappy as say osage. But I guess that's to be expected. Osage has spoiled me I guess. Anyone know of any good stave sources?

Offline Wally44

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2019, 04:33:18 pm »
How would you go about toasting the limbs

Offline bassman

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2019, 04:54:41 pm »
Jake, three years ago I gave the neighbor boy a hickory bow that turned out with less than an inch of set. I told him to store it under his bed.He didn,t. Two months later we shot the bows together in my back yard, and his limbs turned to noodles. He had his stored in his garage also.Ruined the bow.I live 50 miles north of Pittburgh, Pa. so we live in the same environment.Keep hickory bows inside unless you are hunting with them or shooting them.Good luck and take care.

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2019, 05:04:37 pm »
Use a heat gun to “toast” the belly. The term being an accurate description. Heated until it darkens the wood.
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline Hrothgar

« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2019, 06:06:59 pm »
As previously mentioned hackberry is a great light weight wood, it is easy to recurve the limbs with also. Another white wood you might check out is elm.
" To be, or not to be"...decisions, decisions, decisions.

Offline airkah

« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2019, 07:20:31 pm »
I also really enjoy hackberry. Needs to be a lot wider than osage or hickory though.

Offline Deerhunter21

• What do you despise? By this are you truly known.
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2019, 08:35:30 pm »
white oak is unbreakable
Life before death. Strength before weakness. Journey before destination.

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2019, 08:43:21 pm »
   Jake, get your hands on some Ironwood...Hophornbeam has all the snap you can handle...
                                                                                                                                         Don
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline chamookman

« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2019, 12:47:40 am »
Another vote for HHB  :OK. Bob
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline Jakesnyder

« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2019, 05:44:53 am »
Anyone know where I can get some?

Offline dylanholderman

« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2019, 07:49:56 am »
Just adding another wood to the list, look for honeysuckle bush(Amur honeysuckle) it’s a invasive weed but it’ll make a good bow if you can find a big enough piece, and that should be easier sense you like short bendy handle bows

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2019, 09:07:36 am »
Hop Hornbeam is a good bow. I like its performance. It's not as forgiving as Osage. Isn't as easily manipulated by heat as Osage. Takes more elbow grease than Osage. Does make a snappy bow though.
I have a piece of Hackberry I think I got from Dylan in supply trade a few years ago I need to give a try. Maybe next winter.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise