Author Topic: osage/hickory reflexed short bow  (Read 20824 times)

radius

Re: osage/hickory reflexed short bow
« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2008, 12:47:11 pm »
Some more pictures.  This is the bow after taking a dark stain and one coat of tung oil.  Unstrung.

Got lucky here

This handle overlay is yew, not osage, but it kind've looks like osage after the staining.

Strung pictures to  comd later...gotta go to work!

Offline 1/2primitive

• Bible believing Christian
« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2008, 12:18:44 am »
It looks good! I'm liking how this is turning out!
    Sean
Dallas/Fort Worth Tx.

radius

« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2008, 02:03:55 am »
these little bows are cute, but ornamental...even a pigmy couldn't pull it to his full draw without hearing a cracking noise!

a finnish native

« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2008, 10:49:50 am »
some people prefer to draw shorter. How about some finished brace and FD pics?

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2008, 01:48:02 am »
  I'm confused, from the pictures it looks like the tip overlays are on the same side as the handle. Oop's didn't realize you put a handle strip on the back. You don't think all that stuff will pop off?  Is there a full draw picture or one with it strung? what's the weight and draw length?  Looking forward to seeing this one shooting.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2008, 01:57:58 am »
Dang I would find a tillering tree and draw it a whole lot of times. I think the handle laminations are going to pop and there could be a huge boom when it does. I wouldn't want my head in the middle of the explosion.  Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

radius

« Reply #21 on: June 21, 2008, 02:50:26 am »
naw, i've drawn this thing lots of times...no problem, but it only draws about 18".  But that's 40# at 18"!!!!!!

good for a kid on steroids, i guess

radius

« Reply #22 on: June 24, 2008, 10:57:07 pm »
yeah, i've drawn this bow lotsa times...no boom yet!

Offline sailordad

« Reply #23 on: June 25, 2008, 12:57:04 am »
hey radius ive got to ask ya,keep in mind im not  trying to start an argument or be disrespectful or anything,ok.

with all the build a longs and bows that you are always making/posting along with all the other stuff it seems like your doing/making on here, do you have a real job?
or is this the life for you? just curious,cause i tell ya what if this is it.
damn brother your living right  ;D 8)

peace,
                                                                           tim
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

radius

« Reply #24 on: June 25, 2008, 01:06:26 am »
hey, tim:  no offense taken, none at all...

and the answer is, Yes, I have a job, full time...what i don't have is a Social Life! :D

I made this short bow a few months ago, btw.

I like to glue up a bunch of blanks at the same time, and then work on them over the ensuing weeks.  I really enjoy this hobby, so I spend time at it almost every day.  For instance, right now i'm doing a buildalong of some spliced-handle elm board bows.  I work in a woodworking shop, so i have access to good tools.  I glued up 3 last week.  2 of them had good backs, so they have already received 1/8" hickory backing.  I made the backing strips at work, glued them up at home.  Today I took the blanks to work, with the profile of holmegaards on the back, and cut them out and sanded them to the line.  Brought them home after work and on thes side laid out the side profile.  Tomorrow I'll take them to work and cut them out.  So, day by day, with just a little time, I get myself closer and closer to finishing more bows.  By tomorrow evening, I'll be tillering these babies.

My job really fosters my hobby, wouldn't you say?  And my boss is very supportive of us using his tools for our home projects, because he knows that in the course of the workday, working for him, only very specific skills will be developed. 

Thanks for asking.