Main Discussion Area > Flight Bows

Aerodynamic penetration

(1/2) > >>

DC:
When I was playing with R/C planes in my teens I remember the glider(I think) guys talking about "penetration". All I got was that it was some kind of force(?) that a glider needed to keep going. Like "It needs more weight to improve the penetration." If it was too light it would flutter like a leaf.
I'm thinking this may be what is happening when a heavy arrow goes farther that a light one. I did a search on it and all I got out of it was that it does exist. Is it a measurable thing? How do you arrive at the right penetration?

avcase:
Perhaps this relates to the ratio of momentum of an object to drag force?  A higher density object is less affected because it has more forward energy and momentum but same Drag force?

Alan

Badger:
   I still think the 450 grain arrow will outshoot the 650 grain arrow if he can get the drag down. But he holds the record currently so that would make him the authority at this point.

DC:

--- Quote from: avcase on April 12, 2019, 11:48:22 am ---Perhaps this relates to the ratio of momentum of an object to drag force?  A higher density object is less affected because it has more forward energy and momentum but same Dra force?

Alan

--- End quote ---

I think when Del said,"If the speed for both (dimensionally identical arrows) is the same, the heavier will fly further.... " It kind of sunk in. When I first read it I thought it must be a typo but Del's pretty good with the Queen's English so I thought I should think a bit. ;)

JNystrom:

--- Quote from: DC on April 12, 2019, 12:13:33 pm ---
--- Quote from: avcase on April 12, 2019, 11:48:22 am ---Perhaps this relates to the ratio of momentum of an object to drag force?  A higher density object is less affected because it has more forward energy and momentum but same Dra force?

Alan

--- End quote ---

I think when Del said,"If the speed for both (dimensionally identical arrows) is the same, the heavier will fly further.... " It kind of sunk in. When I first read it I thought it must be a typo but Del's pretty good with the Queen's English so I thought I should think a bit. ;)

--- End quote ---
It's true IF the speed is the same. But obviously it isn't. Light arrows fly faster.

I personally haven't had any good experience with heavy arrows, i've always had the best results with the lightest arrow you can still get enough spine with.
Mostly my 24" arrows range from 160 grains to 230 grains. 160 grain arrow was pretty light for a 90 pound short bow, but it still flew some 330 yards.

After all, the longest shots have been made with ridiculously light arrows compared to the draw weight. They were short, though (24" or so).
Of course, i'm talking about those 600+ yard records.

I don't know if my opinions are too conservative, but i think turks had it all figured out. :D I think the principles suit long draws also.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version