Author Topic: Deciding which limb is up?  (Read 4115 times)

Offline paulc

Deciding which limb is up?
« on: April 07, 2019, 09:41:58 am »
Can someone talk about what you take into consideration when deciding which end is up?

On my hickory bow one limb seems to bend a bit less than the other...should it be up or down and why?

Thanks, Paul

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Deciding which limb is up?
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2019, 09:53:03 am »
Paul, I've had bowyers tell me they build their bows the way the wood came from the tree, bottom limb from the butt end of the stave. Whether that is necessary I'm not sure. Generally speaking the stiffer limb would go at the bottom.
 I build symmetrical bows with the center of the handle the center of the bow. I also don't shape the handle until late in the process so the top/bottom limb can be determined later in the process.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2019, 10:11:23 am »
Ditto Pat B. I will say that this topic came up some time back, as to which limb goes where, especially as it applies to character. Seems most folks agreed that they placed the most character rich limbs on the bottom. I do as well. Not sure why frankly. Stronger limb on the bottom is good advice I think.
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline jeffp51

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2019, 12:01:53 pm »
Funny, I do it opposite. I like the limb with the most character on top, where I can see it, then try to tiller accordingly. Also, my string seldom goes dead center down the handle, so I also choose the top limb by which one creates a more center shot design

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2019, 12:16:06 pm »
Stiffest and cleanest limb at the bottom for me.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2019, 12:19:23 pm »
What Dell said. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2019, 12:33:28 pm »
Go figure. :)  May be I'm misremembering the responses.  Been a while back so maybe. I dont know that I had given it much thought up until that point.  At my advanced age.....
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2019, 12:40:18 pm »
Paul, I've had bowyers tell me they build their bows the way the wood came from the tree, bottom limb from the butt end of the stave. Whether that is necessary I'm not sure. Generally speaking the stiffer limb would go at the bottom.

Yes

Stiffest and cleanest limb at the bottom for me.
Del

Also yes!

The bottom limb usually being a tad short takes a bit more stress therefore the cleanest limb should be the bottom one.
But if it’s a sapling or branch bow I can’t help but make it upright so that the little features like knots and twig nubs orient the proper direction.
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline bushboy

« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2019, 01:14:47 pm »
Im not sure why but natural deflex limbs seem to be stronger and reflex limbs seem to be a bit weaker.it doesn't make sense but I have noticed it in my elm bows
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2019, 02:25:42 pm »
I like to shoot the bow,, and put the limb on top that is easiest to shoot, with good arrow flight,, that being said,, I agree, the strongest limb on bottom usually,, but if it shoots better ,, the other way, I will go with that,, and shape the handle to go with,, I will usually put the reflex limb on top.. I have noticed ,, sometimes they shift a bit,, making it the weaker,,

Offline paulc

« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2019, 02:53:01 pm »
Sounds like the answer is “depends”.....

😀 Thanks, Paul

Offline Deerhunter21

• What do you despise? By this are you truly known.
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2019, 06:17:00 pm »
Yea thats what things like this usually are like, too many answers to find the fact. (+1 for del)  >:D
Life before death. Strength before weakness. Journey before destination.

Offline straightarrow

• "Success or failure, neither are final"
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2019, 06:40:10 pm »
My deciding factor is which side of handle the string favors. I like my bows to lean towards or be center shot. Makes tuning arrows much easier and getting good flight. I always tiller my bottom limb a 1/8 to a 1/4" stiff. I make my decision at first brace.

Offline paulc

« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2019, 05:31:48 am »
Why the stiffer limb on bottom?  Paul

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2019, 05:35:11 am »
More pressure is put on the lower limb as the bow is drawn.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC